Spam Issues

Taking care of your Linux box.
mejam
Havaldaar

Post by mejam »

is this the only way to get qmail-qfilter.....?
Regards
Abdulrehman
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

i don't understand why people who aren't familiar with how unix works, or writing scripts, or patching c code use qmail. qmail isn't a simple "install and configure a few files and you're done" type of mail server. it hasn't had a new release for almost ten years. the netqmail releases are qmail + five or six essential patches (one of them allows you to use qmail-qfilter).

what problem does qmail solve for you that postfix can't? a lot of things you need to patch qmail to add are builtin to postfix.

and to answer your question about qmail-qfilter? i went to google and typed "qmail-qfilter". the first two links were to the qmail-qfilter source.
Watch out for the Manners Taliban!
Isn't it amazing how so many people can type "linuxpakistan.net" into their browsers but not "google.com"?
mejam
Havaldaar

Post by mejam »

Lambda your words have touchd my heart but i am going to stick with qmail...I know postfix is easy to manage and admin-friendly...but at sysadmin level ...everything is not a cream-pie....I have decided to put some hair on my chest this time...qmHandle is the tool for what i have asked...its working according to my needs...i will PING u when further help is required...Thanks for showing the path buddyy....
Regards
Abdulrehman
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

i hope you document every single patch you made to your installation and third-party tool you installed so that the next admin who comes along will be able to pick up your changes.
Isn't it amazing how so many people can type "linuxpakistan.net" into their browsers but not "google.com"?
mejam
Havaldaar

Post by mejam »

i am having a very strange issue...some of email adresses get spam from their own email addrss..i mean TO and FROM addresses are same...like
TO:abc@mydomain.com

Can anyone help...
Regards
Abdulrehman
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

what's so strange about that? if spammers can send mail from info@paypal.com, why can't they send mail from you@yoursite.com?
mejam
Havaldaar

Post by mejam »

I have enabled secure authantication...none of my users can send email unless they specify their username/passwd....secondly i have only allowed relay from localhost...these are the possible checks that i can implement...can u tell any other way to stop it...?
Regards
Abdulrehman
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

look at the mail headers. look at where the messages are coming from. how are you going to stop messages coming from the internet to your users?

if you want, you can write a filter using qmail-qfilter that will consider such messages as spam. you can also try spf, but that might annoy some users (and make your mail bounce).
kbukhari
Major General

Post by kbukhari »

mejam wrote:i am having a very strange issue...some of email adresses get spam from their own email addrss..i mean TO and FROM addresses are same...like
TO:abc@mydomain.com

Can anyone help...
They are fake. To verify please see header detail.
--
Syed Kashif Ali Bukhari
+92-345-8444420
http://sysadminsline.com
http://kashifbukhari.com