Bandwidth Management for ISP?

Discussion regarding the installation and configuration of Linux distributions.
mehmoodali
Cadet

Bandwidth Management for ISP?

Post by mehmoodali »

Aslam O Alikum:

Kindly tell me how ISP's manage bandwidth for dsl users using Linux and other open source softwares. How to assign packages to users on Mac address basis.

Thanx & Regards
Mehmood
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

Kindly tell me how ISP's manage bandwidth for dsl users using Linux and other open source softwares.
do you know for a fact that they use linux for that function? if so, which isp does that?
How to assign packages to users on Mac address basis.
do you know for a fact that their linux systems actually see the mac addresses of the subscribers' cpe?
Watch out for the Manners Taliban!
Isn't it amazing how so many people can type "linuxpakistan.net" into their browsers but not "google.com"?
mehmoodali
Cadet

Post by mehmoodali »

I would like to know if they uses linux for this purpose then how they do it. I search for this on internet and found an open source solution "Master shaper". I just simply want to know how ISp's manage bandwidth for dsl users.
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

i haven't heard of any isp using linux for that, which is why i asked. if they use PPPoE (most common case in pakistan), then it's very simple: once you authenticate with their server (most likely a hardware solution -- a big expensive box like this, or software on linux), the device at the isp's end knows your ip address, and can limit traffic from there.

some isps also limit your link to the dslam to you. for example, i have a 512kbit link at home, and my modem reports 512kbit down/128kbit up. at work, i have a 1mbit link, but the modem reports 4092kbit down/1020kbit up.
Watch out for the Manners Taliban!
Isn't it amazing how so many people can type "linuxpakistan.net" into their browsers but not "google.com"?
ajt74
Cadet

Post by ajt74 »

Usually BW management modules are built in Billing systems. Huge variety out there.

Mastershaper is a cool Opensource QoS project

http://www.mastershaper.org/index.php/Main_Page

Upto you how do you use it. I prefer FreeBSD dummy net or OpenBSD AltQ for traffic shaping.

Cheers
"With faith, discipline and selfless devotion to duty, there is nothing worthwhile that you cannot achieve." - -- Muhammad Ali Jinnah
x2oxen
Major General

Post by x2oxen »

There are several ways to do so. They can assign bandwidth on D-Slam port on which you are connected or else they can do it via their billing system (billing will add a queue automatically against IP when user get authenticated.
Muhammad Usman
+92-321-6640501
Chemonics International
http://usmanpk.com
mehmoodali
Cadet

Post by mehmoodali »

Brothers thanx for ur replies. Is any ISP billing system you used or you know
kindly tell me about it. I would like linux based billing system and also a plus if it is free of charge.

Thanks & Regards.
nasacis
Battalion Havaldaar Major

Post by nasacis »

We use PacketShaper (www.packeteer.com) for such limitation and its very authentic way to limit end user bandwidth
and
you can also use Mikrotik as packet shaping for your network

Regads
Nafees Ahmed
Cell: +92.300.8653568
UAN: 041-111432432
Nexlinx Faisalabad
www.nexlinx.net.pk
nafees29@gmail.com