Linux or windows server?

General discussion about Linux, Linux distribution, using Linux etc.
gardenair
Havaldaar

Linux or windows server?

Post by gardenair »

AOA, I want a suggestion about linux administration .Preior i have worked on windows 2000, 2003 ,Exchange 2003 & ISA 2006. Now there is server 2008 for microsoft professional which is different than windows 2003 server.So it mean again update....stydy & study.

Well people who are using Linux face same issue that after few years there is a big change or there is a little change .Is life is easy in Linux.

what u suggest,should i switch to linux?
thanks in advance for your valueable suggestions.
gardenair
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

asking if things are easier with linux makes me wonder if you want the easy way out. there is no easy way out. i've used unix and linux as a user, as a sysadmin, as a developer -- since 1992/1993. and i have a lot to learn.

if you're comfortable using a commandline, you'll do well with linux. many of the applications people used five years ago on linux are the same today. maybe the apps have more configuration options, maybe there are better (or, at least, newer) ways to do things, maybe more apps have graphical interfaces.

but you still have to learn the new tricks, all the time.

it'll take you several years to master the commandline, though.

this is the computer industry. whether you work as a linux sysadmin, windows sysadmin, java developer, oracle dba, whatever -- you have to learn new things all the time. you can't stand still.

the market for linux sysadmins seems a lot smaller than the market for windows sysadmins. are you sure you want to switch?
Watch out for the Manners Taliban!
Isn't it amazing how so many people can type "linuxpakistan.net" into their browsers but not "google.com"?
ajt74
Cadet

Post by ajt74 »

There is no such work which is Easy in the world. Only the job you enjoy is easy.

Linux/Unix individuals are highly paid in the international market. One of the reason being few people around due to nature of OS. Once you tune your self with its environment then nothing is difficult. If you have passion to learn then working on linux will give you more control, satisfaction & confidence.
Understanding Linux kernel and getting use to command line is the key.
I would recommend to give it a go. Try to target one application at one time e.g. if you want to learn "apache" then keep working/reading it for few days and then move ahead. It is a slow process but would clear your concepts.

Have a good luck & career.

Cheers
"With faith, discipline and selfless devotion to duty, there is nothing worthwhile that you cannot achieve." - -- Muhammad Ali Jinnah
gardenair
Havaldaar

Post by gardenair »

thanks "lambda & ajt74" for your replies. Well the problem is stability not easiness. In windows if have studied ISA 2000 then ISA 2004 is entirely different GUI.If u have experience on Exchange 2003 then Exchange 2007 is entirely different GUI .So if u study on thing then after few years they make its interface entirely different that u have study it again from zero.I don't know why they make entirely different new product .

On Linux side,i have worked on Linux 9 a bit and i love command line.In 2000 if there is squid server ,today same cooamds but will enprovements but if Exchange 2000 u have done then for new Exchange 2007 u have to understand the interface,good icons etc etc.I want to learn new things in OS,commands not learning new interfaces,good vga cards for icons etc etc.
ajt74
Cadet

Post by ajt74 »

Linux/Unix OS are not like MS applications/OS. Technology is changing day by day but for Server applications shell is still as powerful as it was. If you used Apache 1.3 or earlier then it will not be difficult for you to work on Apache 2.2 etc. Base is the same.

But I must say MS do change its application from great deal. You can say marketing/sales technique. Exh 2k7 is different than Exh 2k3. It is some times difficult to cope up with these upgrades. In Exh 2k7 MS introduced Exchange Power Shell, finally they realized every thing cannot be done through GUI.

Cheers
"With faith, discipline and selfless devotion to duty, there is nothing worthwhile that you cannot achieve." - -- Muhammad Ali Jinnah
gardenair
Havaldaar

Post by gardenair »

yes "ajt74" I agree with you. I want to know that

1-Just like windows it has Active Directory in which the administrator can make users,Groups,OU & impliment security .In Linux it provide things like that ?

2-Does Linux have features of E-mail system if yes then it which one is powerfull.

3-If a company can not afford licence of Red Hat then which distribution you suggest cent os ,Ubuntu or Fedora ?

thanks .
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

there's nothing as gui as active directory.
postfix or sendmail: pick either.
centos is like redhat linux without the support or licenses. ubuntu lts (long term support) means you can install it and update the same release for 3-5 years without having to reinstall. fedora is a stupid choice for servers.
Isn't it amazing how so many people can type "linuxpakistan.net" into their browsers but not "google.com"?
ajt74
Cadet

Post by ajt74 »

What about LDAP??? Off course there is nothing as GUI as Active Directory in Linux.

Sendmail & Postfix are reliable and stable MTA's. If you have not worked on it before then go for Postfix.

I would recommend Debian for servers if want commercial support then go for Ubuntu.
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

don't you know? active directory is ldap with some extensions.
gardenair
Havaldaar

Post by gardenair »

thanks for the reply "lambda" well could you please explain as u mention that "active directory is ldap with some extensions"?
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

the protocol used by active directory is similar to ldap's, and they're both used for the same type of tasks.