Postfix on FreeBSD

Taking care of your Linux box.
mejam
Havaldaar

Postfix on FreeBSD

Post by mejam »

Dear all,
I have a qmail server build on debian. Its working fine with no issues. I want to switch to Postfix with FreeBSD. I followed qmailrocks for my installation. I take nightly backups of my maildirs and sql databases as i was using mysql for user authantication. I want to have IMAP with postfix on FreeBSD and want to import maildirs and users from my qmail...
Regards
Abdulrehman
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

first, you need to set up authentication for mysql on postfix, and make sure that authentication works (users can login).
next, make sure they can actually access their email (the maildirs you copied).
finally, make sure all the addresses you've received messages at work. qmail uses "-" for extensions by default, and postfix uses "+"; have you changed that?

all the things you used on linux will work on freebsd -- dovecot, squirrelmail, apache, etc.

you really should've listened to me months ago.
Watch out for the Manners Taliban!
Isn't it amazing how so many people can type "linuxpakistan.net" into their browsers but not "google.com"?
mejam
Havaldaar

Post by mejam »

Dear lambda,
As i said i want to switch... I have no issues with Qmail but somehow I dont want to continue with it...I will test FreeBSD+mysql+courrier-imap+postfix on a virtual machine...if everything worked i will implement it on a physical machine. I will let you know if further help needed...Can you refer any howto for it....?
Regards
Abdulrehman
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

no, i don't use postfix with mysql, so i've never read any howto on that subject.

you should use dovecot instead of courier imap.
Isn't it amazing how so many people can type "linuxpakistan.net" into their browsers but not "google.com"?
mejam
Havaldaar

Post by mejam »

I have no problems using devcot either but when i will import maildirs from qmail...I just want to make sure that there are no issues with devcot....would those maildirs work with devcot....?
Regards
Abdulrehman
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

if you have no problems with dovecot, that's because you've investigated it and decided that it will work for you.

if you're asking me if it works with maildirs, you haven't investigated it.

so, which is it?
mejam
Havaldaar

Post by mejam »

There was no such thing mentioned like i am asking...but i am asking you for the sake of surity...
Regards
Abdulrehman
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

all you had to do was type "dovecot" in google, click on the first link, and read dovecot's webpage about what it supports (yes, it supports maildirs).

there was no social or technical hurdle that prevented you from following those steps. all you had to do was have the willingness to learn, and to investigate.

not being able to do the above steps is a symptom of a mental disease, mejam. cure yourself.