Qmail configuration

Taking care of your Linux box.
zaigham_tt
Havaldaar

Qmail configuration

Post by zaigham_tt »

Hiz.
Salam 2 all.

I have configured qmail server as per instructions given in www.qmailrocks.org. it works fine locally... my question is ...iif i desire that it can work internationally is there any need to purchase a domain or not...? let me know about this..

Bye
ALLAH HAFIZ
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

on the internet, there are no "nations". what do you mean by "works locally"? how are you using it without a domain?
Watch out for the Manners Taliban!
Isn't it amazing how so many people can type "linuxpakistan.net" into their browsers but not "google.com"?
zaigham_tt
Havaldaar

Post by zaigham_tt »

Sir. locally means on my local intranet 192.168.1.0 it works fine. my Question is for e.g i want to send and receive mail from xyz@yahoo.com and @hotmail.com so what can i do for......i simply install complete Qmail and DNS Sucessfully. plz Guide me..
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

if you're new to setting up and maintaining internet email servers, you likely made a mistake by using qmail -- especially if you're not very good at unix. you should consider paying someone experienced to look over your setup before you go "live". there are tens of thousands (at least!) of badly configured mail servers out there.

better yet, switch to postfix before you go live.

yes, you need a domain, and a static ip address so that you can receive email. you also need reverse dns set up for the ip address. some of it is described in the lwq docs and in the reference manuals.
Isn't it amazing how so many people can type "linuxpakistan.net" into their browsers but not "google.com"?
zaigham_tt
Havaldaar

Post by zaigham_tt »

Thanx Lambda...

Yes U right...Will u Provide me a guy for making my server live. i'll pay him...Another thing my manager desire to implement that all mail that has to be sent and receive by any user will be automatically forward to manager@mydomain.com...
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

almost everyone i know uses postfix now.
zaigham_tt
Havaldaar

Post by zaigham_tt »

I am Talking about qmail not postfix... :oops: :shock:
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

clearly i was too subtle for you. i cannot recommend anyone for qmail.
zaigham_tt
Havaldaar

Post by zaigham_tt »

ohk.. is this possible in postfix that all incoming and outgoing mail will automatically delivered to admin@abc.com.....i dont know about postfix n qmail.... i just install qmail by following 20 steps given in that site...
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

incoming mail? sure. outgoing mail? why? surely if you send mail to exampleuser@gmail.com you'd want the mail to go there, not to your local account.
zaigham_tt
Havaldaar

Post by zaigham_tt »

Hiz Salam..
Dear Lambda...

Ok I tell u My scenerio In detail..Due to some reasons my boss took this actions as below..

Actually my Boss desires that block all e-mail sites like. gmail,yahoo,hotmail...and messengers like yahoo,skype and msn. Employes can only browse internet for researching purpose...I think it can be done in proxy server...that will be my second job after completing mail server...as below..

Another thing he desires that Sales & Accounts dept (where i implement qmail server) ca use our domain for e-mails and all mails that is to be send and recieve by any employe will be automaticaly forwarded to : director@abcdomain.com..

I resolved this issue partially that all incoming mails automatically forwards.. but i unable to foward outing mails...I search google alot finally i got some links which i mentioned here..so plz guide me.....

http://www.hyperaxe.com/2005/08/18/qmai ... ssages.htm
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

sending all incoming mail to a certain address is different from sending a copy to a certain address. which do you want?

for the former, just add an alias entry for sales@yourhost or marketing@yourhost that sends the messages to boss@yourhost. for the latter, deliver to ./Maildir/ or wherever, and also send a copy to boss@yourhost.