LoOp - A free SMS Service

General discussion about Linux, Linux distribution, using Linux etc.
DivineLight
Naik

LoOp - A free SMS Service

Post by DivineLight »

Salam,

Me and my friends have been working for some time on this idea and created a Free online SMS service ( LoOp ) thats a mix of Choopal, Ufone SMS buddies (if you know them)

My firs question is that I am currently using Ubuntu Server edition on a normal spec PC which is fine for time being, will it be good in the long run?

Also I have to setup a server localy to send and recv SMS, and for that you know I have to Setup UPS and backups which is very difficult in Pakistan(Sadly), any idea to get rid of it?

And now if you like, below is intro of my idea.

You can register to get a nick, from your mobile or online, and then start chatting anonymously by searching other users or make groups. Registration could be done from any network, be it Ufone, Warid, Telenor, Mobilink or Zong.

Also your dear ones that are abroad can register online without even a cell# and can send you SMS which you can reply to from your cell and they can read your responses online in real time.

I look forward for you feedback and criticism :)
Last edited by DivineLight on Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

My firs question is that I am currently using Ubuntu Server edition on a normal spec PC which is fine for time being, will it be good in the long run?
i've had desktop-type systems running for years and years, 24x7. if you have a good power supply, and your hard drives don't die, you should be okay. they're not meant to be used like this, though, and you'll get better performance with a server-class processor. also, many deskop motherboards and processors don't support ecc memory.
Also I have to setup a server localy to send and recv SMS, and for that you know I have to Setup UPS and backups which is very difficult in Pakistan(Sadly), any idea to get rid of it?
the best you can do is buy a ups that will last two hours or so. that also means you should buy green hard drives and use a processor that uses very little power. for example, some older intel core 2 duo processors use just 14 watts of power when idle.
Watch out for the Manners Taliban!
Isn't it amazing how so many people can type "linuxpakistan.net" into their browsers but not "google.com"?
DivineLight
Naik

Post by DivineLight »

Thanks for your suggestions Lambda, I will switch to greener things soon :)

PS: How did you like the idea/service? and any advice on improving it. Also I need some suggestions on marketing
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

the service doesn't interest me. i'm not the target market.
Isn't it amazing how so many people can type "linuxpakistan.net" into their browsers but not "google.com"?
DivineLight
Naik

Post by DivineLight »

Lol haha right. It doesn't but one must not be a consumer to give insight kher np :)

Okay, one last thing.

Yar what should I do of internet, I mean I upgraded to 4mb PTCL and its quite good but when its working and I cannot afford downtime, as I am also providing online interface which needs to constantly communicate to my local server.

But right now unluckily, my line has strange distortion and my internet is going off and on. Kindly guide me please
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

the way they did it at my business partner's office is to have a link from nexlinx on fiber, and a link from worldcall on their cable network (both corporate accounts). the nexlinx link almost never goes down (less than an hour of outage every three or four months on average).

they have a backup link on dsl, but it's down a lot.
DivineLight
Naik

Post by DivineLight »

Lol, then I need a big sponsor or I have to withstand these problems for a while as I am myself a student. :/

Still thanks Lambda for all your advices. BTW what's your job? IYDM
Atif Kamal
Lance Naik

Post by Atif Kamal »

DivineLight wrote:Thanks for your suggestions Lambda, I will switch to greener things soon :)

PS: How did you like the idea/service? and any advice on improving it. Also I need some suggestions on marketing

Beside your idea/service of SMS, I like your intentions to go GREEN. We should take initiatives in order to save power, reducing carbon foot print and effective energy utilizations.

Yes you can reduce your cost even in long run by following certain guidelines defined by experts. I am sure you will "do your bit".

Long Live Pakistan,

Atif Kamal
| Cell : +92 333 2317679, +92 321 2317679 | Email: atif@atifkamal.com | Web: http://www.atifkamal.com | IM: im@atifkamal.com | Blog: http://atifkamal.blogspot.com |
DivineLight
Naik

Post by DivineLight »

I like your passion for green :)
I will do my bit.

Long Live Pakistan!
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

DivineLight wrote:Still thanks Lambda for all your advices. BTW what's your job? IYDM
i write software for a site that tracks the local stock markets.
DivineLight
Naik

Post by DivineLight »

You make out your living out of that software? Amazing :)
DivineLight
Naik

Re: LoOp - A free SMS Service

Post by DivineLight »

Hello guys, just to Inform that after 2 years Loop is now a Photography site :D

Please check it out and let me know what you think of it.