Lycoris removes free downloadable version !

General discussion about Linux, Linux distribution, using Linux etc.
Tauseef
Naik

Lycoris removes free downloadable version !

Post by Tauseef »

http://www.lycoris.org/viewtopic.php?to ... 33&start=0

Lycoris like Redhat has removed free downloadable version and now you have to purchase that aswell.

I wonder if any of the major Linux distributions will be free 1 or 2 years from now ???
fawad
Site Admin

Post by fawad »

Tauseef, why do you insist on saying that Redhat has removed freely downloadable versions? They just released Fedora Core 1 and that's available on all usual channels.

And yes, Linux distros will be free for all eternity thanks to the forward thinking of one Richard M. Stallman.
jargon
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by jargon »

no biggie no one uses Lycoris anyway.

Fawad: you said you were downloading Fedora 1, have you gotten around to installing it, just let us know what you think of it.
jargon
Tauseef
Naik

Post by Tauseef »

fawad,

All I can say is try upgrading to RHE on top of Fedora thingy or the otherway round and if you are successfull, I'll rest my case. Rhe is a new Linux distro altogather that does not even install on top of RH9 whereas Fedora is based on RH9 codebase.

Also Redhat will not support fedora. The only RH supported Linux Distro is RHE (For which you have to pay annual subscription). You can even see that written clearly on Fedora Web Site.

True RH engineers will help fedora project to some extent, they will be concentrating on RHE more than fedora.

If they include some parts of fedora in RHE, It is just like KDE being part of RH. Do you remember RH/KDE argument at RH8 release time. RH screwed KDE to an extent that even KDE developers could not recognise it and refused to provide support for it.

With passage of time this gap will widen as RHE4 will have more proprietry server apps (Or modified server apps including web, mail and proxy servers) that will not become part of Fedora.

Remember most of code traffic will be from Fedora to RHE and not that much from RHE to Fedora
fawad
Site Admin

Post by fawad »

Tauseef, was it possible to upgrade Redhat 9 to RHE? I am not aware of any drastic changes Redhat made to the Fedora codebase to break compatibility on purpose. In any case, how does that prove that Redhat will not provide free downloadable versions (your original assertion)?

You say
Redhat will not support fedora. The only RH supported Linux Distro is RHE (For which you have to pay annual subscription). You can even see that written clearly on Fedora Web Site.
Did you happen to buy Redhat Linux (as in RHL 8, 9) from Redhat? Me neither. Apparently Redhat didn't make enough money to break even with the sales of RHL. So they could choose to either go bankrupt supporting a product which was creating losses for them, or fork it into a community maintained project and focus on the product they do make money on.

The only thing you're not getting on Fedora that you were getting on RHL is the guaranteed support between the releases. Of course, as the project is now community driven, interested parties are free to come up and offer support for old versions of Fedora (ala the Fedora Legacy project).

I'll install Fedora over this weekend, hopefully. I'll keep you guys updated on my progress.
Tauseef
Naik

Post by Tauseef »

fawad,
Did you happen to buy Redhat Linux (as in RHL 8, 9) from Redhat?
My company owns registered RHE. No it is not possible to upgrade RH9 to RHE. If you have RH9 installed , even then you must do a clean install of RHE. Though we never bought RH9. But we donot like RH policy of scraping the most successfull and popular Linux distro just like that. Also you can see from the google search that RH did not face losses.

If you go to Fedora web site, you will find
Red Hat Enterprise Linux
The Fedora Project is one of the sources for new technologies and enhancements that may be incorporated into Red Hat Enterprise Linux in the future. Red Hat Enterprise Linux is the solution that provides a robust, stable operating system supported by Red Hat, Inc. and a wide variety of independent software vendors (ISVs). For production use, support, service level agreements (SLAs), and ISV support, we proudly ask that you look at Red Hat Enterprise Linux.
Note the word
may be incorporated
It is just like saying that * we may or may not include fedora *
Remember now RH will support old distros upto version 8 till next month and version 9 only for another 3 months.

Even as RH9 stands today is a different distro than RHE and Fedora seems to be more compatible with RH9 than RHE.
In any case, how does that prove that Redhat will not provide free downloadable versions (your original assertion)?
RHE is a commercial product now with no plans for free downloads whatso ever. Kindly visit Redhat website and read about different version of RHE. There is no FREE DOWNLOADABLE VERSION of RHE, nor does RH plans to offer any.

Also remember that enhancements from Fedora may go into RHE, but there is no plan for the other-way-round i.e from RHE into Fedora.
if
Battalion Quarter Master Havaldaar

Post by if »

Aslam-o-Aliakum,

Our Org also purchse RH original packs from RedHat time to time but now we are thinking about to move to any other distro... they are looking like Alien OS (like MS) to us, due to moves and we think there are more move like this from RH coming soon to surprise...
if u find anything which shows my lack of knowledge,
please guide me... thx
------------------------------------
Aslam-o-Aliakum-Wa-Rahmatullah-Wa-Barakatuhu
------------------------------------
if
fawad
Site Admin

Post by fawad »

AOA, Just a quick update to let you know that I've upgraded my system to Fedora Core. A detailed account of the move coming up real soon.

-fawad
farhantoqeer
Major General

Post by farhantoqeer »

Here is an article on fedora after installation. You can have screen shots either from the given link.
http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=5066&page=3
A: Yes
Q: Is top-posting bad?