Microsoft .Net

General discussion about Linux, Linux distribution, using Linux etc.
Zaheer
Battalion Havaldaar Major

Microsoft .Net

Post by Zaheer »

AOA,
How can we run Microsoft .Net in Redhat 9,I have heard of a software (wine)which can be used to run Microsoft products in Linux.Is it true or not.
Regards
Zaheer
Good Judgement comes from Experience and Experience comes from bad Judgement!!
The more I know, the more I realize I don't know!?
The easiest way to find out is to try Out!!!

Registered Linux user #333501
outstream
Naib Subedar

Post by outstream »

AoA

well yeah, wine is used to run windows applications.

Sir please visit http://appdb.winehq.com/

that is database of programs that run on wine. i hope u`ll find the link interesting.

Good Day
Testing?What's that? If it compiles, its good, if it boots up it is perfect.
----------------------------------------------------
Imran
Registered Linux User # 334322
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Post by Faraz.Fazil »

LinuxFreak, .Net apps donot run under wine at all.Even if they do, they are broken and donot work in most cases.

This question required a seperate answer than from what had already been given in other posts and hence this post should not have been closed.

The thread is now opened.
Linux for Life!
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Post by Faraz.Fazil »

To run .Net applications, you can use Go-Mono, which is an effort to create an open source implementation of the .NET Development Framework in linux.

Downloads and more info:

http://www.go-mono.com/

Also check this thread by Mr.Lambda:

http://www.linuxpakistan.net/forum2x/vi ... .php?t=897
Linux for Life!
LinuxFreaK
Site Admin

Re: Microsoft .Net

Post by LinuxFreaK »

Dear Zaheer,
Salam,
Zaheer wrote:AOA,
How can we run Microsoft .Net in Redhat 9,I have heard of a software (wine)which can be used to run Microsoft products in Linux.Is it true or not.
As. Mr.Outstream answered you...
well yeah, wine is used to run windows applications.
Sir please visit http://appdb.winehq.com/
that is database of programs that run on wine. i hope u`ll find the link interesting.

.NET is a joke...it's a marketing term....and the other little things that qualify as .NET to run .NET Applications Under Linux you need to use Project Called Mono it can run some apps, check their site for more details...now, if you want information about wine, go to Wine that's an WIN32 API Implementation (nothing related to the marketing term .NET) and also want to look into crossover wine and winex (transgaming i think is the company or something similar) Google Linux

Best Regards.
Farrukh Ahmed
Tauseef
Naik

Post by Tauseef »

Actually we are not answering the real quuestion here.

The answer to the actual quanstiuon is that we can not run VS.Net on Linux altogather as a standalone application using Wine or Crossover office.

Some of the C# applications can however be compiled and run on Linux using mono Project by Novel. But mono is in a very early stages and does not include a programing IDE of it own.

The Best solution to run VS.Net over Linux is through Terminal Services of Windows2k Server and RedHat9 Terminal Server Client in a Local Area Network.

dotNet uses a different API than Win32 api as Win32 API is now in deprecated mode. Wine on Linux is an emulation program for Win32 applications.

Also dotNet is not a joke, it is a serious API on which all future Windows will be based on. Win2k3 is the first to include dotNet as standard. The rest of Windows (LongHorn and XP64) will be based on dotNet. Win32 will be provided as compatibility layer only.

Almost all Dev Tools on Windows are moving onto dotNet or planning to do so very soon. Borland is the first of major non-MS companies to comeout with dotNet tools such as C#Builder and Delphi.Net (Octane). Borland was evaluating mono to port Delphi.Net on mono. If they do so (But it may take a year or more), they will be first to offer first industrial-strength RAD tool for mono. ( Borland Kylix is already considered the best RAD tool for Linux already )

So if you plan to do dotNet development, you are better off with VS.Net running on Windows for now
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Post by Faraz.Fazil »

Correct..But i wonder why Zaheer, doesnot describe his problems in a correct format...And why does he post them in a vague manner.
The way he posted indicated that he wanted to run applications based on .net framewok under linux.Anywayz, he has answers to both the questions now.

Also, one more thing,

Wine is not an emulator.
It is an Open Source implementation of the Windows API on top of X and Unix.

Check winehq.com for more info.

Tauseef wrote:Actually we are not answering the real quuestion here.

The answer to the actual quanstiuon is that we can not run VS.Net on Linux altogather as a standalone application using Wine or Crossover office.

Some of the C# applications can however be compiled and run on Linux using mono Project by Novel. But mono is in a very early stages and does not include a programing IDE of it own.

The Best solution to run VS.Net over Linux is through Terminal Services of Windows2k Server and RedHat9 Terminal Server Client in a Local Area Network.

dotNet uses a different API than Win32 api as Win32 API is now in deprecated mode. Wine on Linux is an emulation program for Win32 applications.

Also dotNet is not a joke, it is a serious API on which all future Windows will be based on. Win2k3 is the first to include dotNet as standard. The rest of Windows (LongHorn and XP64) will be based on dotNet. Win32 will be provided as compatibility layer only.

Almost all Dev Tools on Windows are moving onto dotNet or planning to do so very soon. Borland is the first of major non-MS companies to comeout with dotNet tools such as C#Builder and Delphi.Net (Octane). Borland was evaluating mono to port Delphi.Net on mono. If they do so (But it may take a year or more), they will be first to offer first industrial-strength RAD tool for mono. ( Borland Kylix is already considered the best RAD tool for Linux already )

So if you plan to do dotNet development, you are better off with VS.Net running on Windows for now
Linux for Life!
fawad
Site Admin

Post by fawad »

As a followup to Tauseef's comment regarding Mono, it isn't as immature as you'd think (I'm as confused as you guys are about Zaheer's question in this thread). True that it doesn't implement the complete .NET framework yet, but it's remarkably mature for it's age (<2 years). I've been using mono for more than a year and except for Windows.Forms (GUI components for Windows) and the GAC (Global Assembly Cache), I haven't run into a significant barriers with it. Check out the mono roadmap for details on what will be included in the upcoming 1.0 release in Q1 2004.
Tauseef
Naik

Post by Tauseef »

Actually I usually have a little reservation about development tools that have not reached 1.0 level atleast.

I am sure mono is going to be a good alternative And now that Novel owns it, it is even more considerable option.

One good example is Firebird Ado.Net driver that is using same code-base for VS.Net and Mono projects and it is rock solid on both ends.

Yet my point was that mono does not have RAD interface such as VS.NET that makes up the best RAD interface from microsoft to-date. And under linux you simply go back to your (and mine too ) favourite VI editor and do coding in classic manner. :?

And Faraz ... As for Wine, I am sure it is a set of Win32 API's.... but maybe I am wrong or forgeting something here !!!!

Can you tell me what do we call a program that allows you to run binaries made for another OS or processor ???
farhantoqeer
Major General

Post by farhantoqeer »

Tauseef, it is iBCS (Intel Binary Compatible Standard)
http://www.purplet.demon.co.uk/linux/ibcs/
A: Yes
Q: Is top-posting bad?
fawad
Site Admin

Post by fawad »

Tauseef,
Agreed on the area of Visual Studio. The IDE as it stands today gives a level of productivity above and beyond any IDE I've used (both on Windows and Linux). My comment was simply about the mono platform and how it compares with the .NET Framework.

Also, Faraz.Fazil is correct that Wine is not an emulator. An emulator would be a system that would simulate the Windows environment (like POSER is an emulator for the Palm platform). Wine just implements the Win32 API. If it were an emulator, it would be possible to run it on non-x86 machines.
Tauseef
Naik

Post by Tauseef »

fawad,

Well if Wine only allowed us to re-compile Win-32 programs for Linux, it'd be a set of Win32 Libraries and APIs for Linux. The largest program I have seen using Wine libraries for compilation is Borland Kylix. But it goes further and allows us to run Windows binaries on Linux. That makes it an emulator.

Agreed it also allows you to re-compile applications for Linux, but don't forget that it Wine allows you to run binaries compiled for Win-32. That puts it into catagory of emulators.

Remember Wine is not a Processor emulator but Windows-Emulator.
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Post by Faraz.Fazil »

Well..well..

Wine is not an emulator...

FYI, when you say compilation with wine, that compilation refers to the real time compilation that is done by wine when executing a windows application in linux with wine, and not seperate linux version compiling.

Wine can not recompile/generate seperate linux versions of windows programs.That task is done by the QT framework,which allows you to generate linux versions of windows programs and vice versa, at the click of a button.both these, should not be mixed.

Wine , in plain english, lets you run windows applications in linux.

Wine can also convert Windows' calls to Linux ones,for example, the way it runs sound applications like winamp under linux. and the way it uses the sound card using sdl or oss etc, and is simply an Open Source implementation of the Windows API on top of X and Unix.

I think you didnot read the documentation on winehq.com

Read these carefully:

http://www.winehq.com
http://winehq.com/site/myths

Especially the part which reads:

============================
This is plain wrong. As Wine's name says: "Wine Is Not an Emulator":
============================

The other day, i was surprised to see a leading Pakistani Internet Magazine, describe wine as Windows Emulator....this ofcourse, is Plain Wrong.
Tauseef wrote:fawad,

Well if Wine only allowed us to re-compile Win-32 programs for Linux, it'd be a set of Win32 Libraries and APIs for Linux. The largest program I have seen using Wine libraries for compilation is Borland Kylix. But it goes further and allows us to run Windows binaries on Linux. That makes it an emulator.

Agreed it also allows you to re-compile applications for Linux, but don't forget that it Wine allows you to run binaries compiled for Win-32. That puts it into catagory of emulators.

Remember Wine is not a Processor emulator but Windows-Emulator.
Linux for Life!
jargon
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by jargon »

i dont understand why this forum discusses so much about wine, wine is crap, if you are using linux and keep finding yourself using wine , whats the point?
jargon
Tauseef
Naik

Post by Tauseef »

Wine , in plain english, lets you run windows applications in linux.
So in other words wine emulates Windows on top of Linux. Just like LXRun is an emulator of Linux runing on top of Solaris.

Excuse me, but my understanding is that an emulator translates one processor instruction set to another processor in real time. Just like PlaySation or Nintendo64 Emulators.

Similarly Wine translates Windows binary files into Linux instruction sets, so it is an emulator.

And yes. Wine is used by many programs to port their applications to Linux aswell. Kindly explore the way Borland Kylix and Corel WordPerfect have been ported to Linux from their Windows code base. Both rely quite heavily on Wine libraries for their respective compilation process.

When you write QT/GTK applications you do not rely on Wine Libraries but you write pure native Linux applications.