Linux for the uninitiated

General discussion about PLUC and Linux in Pakistan.
zaeemarshad
Lieutenant Colonel

Linux for the uninitiated

Post by zaeemarshad »

I am planning to launch a desktop linux orientation course for free from january. This will be a one week course. Participants will learn how to use the open source alternatives for checking email, chatting and prepaing their office documents. Initially i plan to use a live cd. I need suggestions regarding which live cd to use. Remember its going to be for the end user only who only knows windows. Also plz tell me which modems in the local market are available and supported. I would appreciate if all the PLUCians be kind enuff to post about their modems. I would urge the moderators to consolidate all the modem listing posts in a single post. I plan this course to be a 3 day course and i intend to provide the participants with live cds - not to mention the coffee and snacks. With the help of a local ISP admin,i may be able to provide each user two hours for free to have a linux internet experience. I need help on this as i am quite serious in this project.

Regards
Zaeem Arshad
LinuxFreaK
Site Admin

Re: Linux for the uninitiated

Post by LinuxFreaK »

Dear Zaeem Arshad,
Salam,

It Could be gr8 Effort you can do for All PLUCian's as well as for All Newbies....
zaeemarshad wrote:I am planning to launch a desktop linux orientation course for free from january. This will be a one week course. Participants will learn how to use the open source alternatives for checking email, chatting and prepaing their office documents. Initially i plan to use a live cd. I need suggestions regarding which live cd to use. Remember its going to be for the end user only who only knows windows. Also plz tell me which modems in the local market are available and supported. I would appreciate if all the PLUCians be kind enuff to post about their modems. I would urge the moderators to consolidate all the modem listing posts in a single post. I plan this course to be a 3 day course and i intend to provide the participants with live cds - not to mention the coffee and snacks. With the help of a local ISP admin,i may be able to provide each user two hours for free to have a linux internet experience. I need help on this as i am quite serious in this project.

Regards
Zaeem Arshad
Best Regards.
Farrukh Ahmed
zaeemarshad
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by zaeemarshad »

It is only intended for the newbies but for those who has been using windows and the net. its not a primary computer course. i would appreciate if PLUCians can submit a list of modems that they have found to work in linux and are available in the market. I am in the process of building a team in multan. need massive help

Regards
Zaeem Arshad
farhanksa
Subedar

Post by farhanksa »

aoa
nice plan... ok i found a nice shop in lahore who got a grand collection of modems..as i went there to buy a modem for a newbie friend.....the shop person also got intrested to use linux..:) i installed linux in one of his pc at shop..and configed modem there too:)

so i will post complete address and tel of that shop

i personally used conexant ,,rockwell, lucent ,intel ambient modems in linux (need to be installed kernel source and development kit,gcc compiler)
zaeemarshad
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by zaeemarshad »

this is the issue thats been worrying me. is there some way that i can add the support of all these modems in the live cd. i mean install the cd stuff. recompile the kernel with the drivers built in and then write it back to the cd. a live cd customized for our hardware? any idea how to do that. Most users will be put off if they had to download and compile the drivers to get the modem work. i want to make it as easy as possible for them. i shall appreciate ur help

Regards
Zaeem
mahin
Major

Post by mahin »

You can do that with Slackware-live but may have to wait till Tomas releases new version with in next fortnight. You may take a look now.

BTW Cool :!: idea :) I am just wondering how to modify the famous couplet about Multan to make it five instead of four and to list Linux as fifth gift from Multan in original four [ Gard=Dust, Gada=Beggars, Garma=Heat and Gor=Moselums]. :)
zaeemarshad
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by zaeemarshad »

will the slack live cd work on a knoppix installation. lets say i copy the whole knoppix fs from the cd to the system. recompile the kernel if need be and add the support for other modems by compiling in their drivers and then write the fs back to the cd. wont that work. i think the only trouble will be the shared libraries. will the slack script work on it? actually i am too busy to try it out these days. any body got any idea.

Regards
Zaeem Arshad
mahin
Major

Post by mahin »

No! Why would you want to do that? If you have Knoppix installed on Hard Disk then to use Slackware-Live you have to boot the machine with Slackware-Live in CD Rom Drive just like Knoppix if you have not installed that on Hard Disk. Am I missing some thing ?

If your only concern is about modems then go to RULE main page and there is link for VUM, they work on old machines and look for the diagonistic floppies they have. This was discussed in RULE list some time back.

You would be much better off working with Slackware-Live due to its small size and simple to modify. Read about it and try it, you will see the difference.

I do not know about any one working on re-mastering Knoppix / Slackware-Live in Pakistan or if they are then they wish to keep it secret for their own reasons. I did tried [ still try ] to persuade where ever I get chance with any one to take up re-mastering of either but learning new skills ..? Do not want to say more except you are on your own, if you want this thing done.
zaeemarshad
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by zaeemarshad »

u got me wrong. my last post was ambiguous. actually what i meant was i would copy the knoppix installation to the disk, recompile the kernel,add a few modules, remove a few programs and then using the scripts from slack-live i will recreate a knoppix live cd customized for my very own usage or is there a way to customize knoppix? This is what i wanted to ask.

As far as i am concerned, i have started working on the live cd project and i am considering a mandrake or redhat livecd. although there are a few available on the net but i am looking for the one that is very customizable. the next release of slack live cd is a big hope for ppl like me. as soon as i get it done i will put it on the net. mean while u will get to know the progress as i will be putting up really stupid questions.

Regards
Zaeem Arshad
mahin
Major

Post by mahin »

I trust you have not yet read the instructions / HowTo by Tomas or you over looked the main points.

No you can not mix Knoppix with Slackware-Live unless you re-write the Tomas's scripts [ easy] or edit it extensively. This is my understanding but you can check with Tomas. If you want to go the Knoppix way then go all the way with it.

Never came across any Live CD [ working and stable ] project based upon either [ former ] Red Hat or Mandrake though there were some announcements and partial work but I could have missed some thing so you need to check.

You are free to spend your time doing what you like but IMHO you would be wasting your time by looking at Red Hat, Mandrake or Knoppix if your intention is to make your own Live CD. Taking a look will certainly increase your knowledge but will not help you in your task if you intend to base your Live CD upon Slackware-Live.

You would do well by simply limiting your efforts at trying to make your own Live CD based upon what ever is now available at Slackware-Live site . Once that is done then you may want to take a look at Vector 4 from the prespective of makeing a Live Vector 4 SOHO. Point is you target for best then you end up with fair quality.

Please read once again Tomas How To make your own Live CD and also do check the forum and read every thing in the forum [ not much, only few hours worth reading ] and do read the posts in the forum about making your own Live CD. If you set your mind and do not wander around then you can roll your first Live CD before Eid provided you have any intention of giving PLUC members some gift on Eid :).
zaeemarshad
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by zaeemarshad »

thanks sir for ur input. i am planning to work on slackware-live scripts initially on a base slackware installation. there are some base differences in redhat and slackware which i think i can easily cover up by editing the scripts. as far as a gift of eid is concerned, it definitely cannot be as my papers are ahead and i wont be giving it much time but after the papers it will be my first priority. maybe a gift of newyear or a valentine's day gift ;) for the PLUCIANS. lol. i need fair bit of luck and help on this project. once again thanks for your kind input

Regards
Zaeem Arshad
mahin
Major

Post by mahin »

zaeemarshad wrote: a valentine's day gift ;) for the PLUCIANS. lol.
If you are thinking of Valentine's day gift then it is certainly not for me :wink: