sendmail problems

Taking care of your Linux box.
zaeemarshad
Lieutenant Colonel

sendmail problems

Post by zaeemarshad »

hi all
i need some help with sendmail(no suggestions on moving to postifx or other MTA plz.) . i am configuring an intranet mail server for my local lan. my domain is zaeem.com(locally) and my mail server is mail.zaeem.com . i have two problems. firstly only the mail server seems to be able to send mail. smtp doesnt seem to work for other hosts on the network although pop is working and secondly i cannot check root's mail using pop3 clients like kmail or outlook express either on the mail server or on any other client. other accounts seem to work fine. it gives me a bad login message when loggin in with root although i am using the correct password. so what i want is to be able to

1) check root's mail via pop3 over the network
2) be able to send mail to other accounts via smtp from clients

note that all the mail is stored on the mail server and each user on the lan has an account on it. any suggestions.

Regards
Zaeem Arshad
zaeemarshad
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by zaeemarshad »

it seems strange that if i made another pc the mail server, smtp shows up in open ports but not on my mail server. i reinstalled all the mail packages and then tried back but to no avail. strange that the procedure works on one pc while not on the other while both are RHL 8.0 . anyway i still need to find a way to configure a way to check root's mail over the network.

Regards
Zaeem Arshad
lambda
Major General

Re: sendmail problems

Post by lambda »

you say smtp doesn't work. did you read /etc/mail/sendmail.mc and make the appropriate change?

to diagnose the pop problem, first check its man page or other docs. some pop servers won't work if the pop user's uid is under 200 or something. in that case, you'll need to use /etc/aliases to send root's mail to a user (which you should do anyway).

if the docs don't help, install strace and ltrace. telnet to the pop port, and use ps to find the pop process. run "strace -p pid", and in the telnet window, type "user root", then "pass the-password". watch what strace shows the pop process doing. if that doesn't help, try ltrace, same procedure. but i bet it's the uid issue.

also, if this is for lan stuff, i recommend using imap instead of pop. it gives you a central backup location (the mail server).
zaeemarshad
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by zaeemarshad »

thanx lambda for the input. it was of real help. the problem was that i needed to comment the line DAEMON_OPTIONS(blah blah) which said to listen only on the local loopback adapter. i commented that line and everything seemed to work fine. as far as the root's problem is concerned, ur suggestion of forwarding it to another user is right. i did exactly the same thing and got it done. i was actually practicing with pop. tonight i am doing pop over ssl and imap. once agan thnx for ur valuable input. it really helped me a lot.

Regards
Zaeem Arshad
kernel-trap
Havaldaar

Post by kernel-trap »

Yes user root is not allowed to pop by default