Problems With Modem/ Samba Too

Discussion regarding the installation and configuration of Linux distributions.
Jis4jag

Problems With Modem/ Samba Too

Post by Jis4jag »

I Use Mandrake 8.2 As my Distribution.

I've been trying to configure Samba on my desktop. Somehow when i run the command smbclient -L Hostname it gives me the shared drives on the host i want, but when i try to look for my linux PC on the netowork it is not found by a Windows PC. The pings are perfect for all my systems from and to Linux. I've tried reading up on it, the configurations are matched to the hilt. I don't know what i'm doing wrong. It's a peer-2-peer system, btw, and i dont' have a DHCP server running anywhere.

Plus, i require a modem driver for my Motorola Modem and for my notebook (HP ZE1110). I've tried searching for it on linmodems.com but somehow it's not there. Can anyone help with this too.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Jaguar.
fawad
Site Admin

Post by fawad »

Try putting

browseable = yes

in the

[global]

section of smb.conf
Company Havaldaar Major

Post by newbie »

Atif Kamal
Lance Naik

Problem With Samba

Post by Atif Kamal »

For Samba :

if you can ping, you are 50% there.The rest is up to samba.Samba is a networking layer that allows Linux and Windows ( amongst others) to "talk" to each other.

First thing to do now is to create a user on your Linux system. adduser windows_user ( or whatever you like ; you will log into your windows 9x box with this user )passwd windows_user

Now, edit the samba configuration file; smb.conf. (if needed)

Change the "WORKGROUP" name to match the workgroup you set on the Windows machine.

Now, a bit lower down, there will be 2 lines :
encrypt passwords = yes
smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
Make sure they don't have ; or # ( comments ) infront.
Now create the smbpasswd file, needed to authenticate the login users.

give the user windows_user ( the one we created earlier)a smbpasswd.

smbpasswd windows_user (give passwd twice)

start/restart sambaservice smb start ( or restart if it was running already ).
Now, you just need to hit Start -> log off on the windows machine, and log in with windows_user and give the password you gave it in the last step.