Picking A Linux Distribution

General discussion about Linux, Linux distribution, using Linux etc.
outstream
Naib Subedar

Picking A Linux Distribution

Post by outstream »

Testing?What's that? If it compiles, its good, if it boots up it is perfect.
----------------------------------------------------
Imran
Registered Linux User # 334322
LinuxFreaK
Site Admin

Re:

Post by LinuxFreaK »

Dear Outstream,
Salam,
www.linuxpipeline.com wrote:The choices are so great that a quick search of only Intel-compatible distributions at www.linux.org/dist lists 159 different distributions of GNU/Linux available for download and/or purchase. Narrowing the search to "Mainstream/General Public" distributions still comes up with 66 options--far too many to evaluate in an acceptable time frame.
Yeah, Its Great but man 157 distributions :) here in Pakistan Mostly People uses Red Hat, SuSe, Mandrak, Slackware, Debain, Caldera, FreeBSD which is not the 5% of the list :) I think we need to do much work :)

Best Regards.
Farrukh Ahmed
kernel-trap
Havaldaar

Post by kernel-trap »

salam

but i think to start with Red hat Installation is quite easy for newbies

Regards
outstream
Naib Subedar

Post by outstream »

AoA
but i think to start with Red hat Installation is quite easy for newbies
but i head people saying that Mandrake is more easier for newbies as compared to Red Hat?
Imran
LinuxFreaK
Site Admin

Re:

Post by LinuxFreaK »

Dear Outsteam,
Salam,
but i head people saying that Mandrake is more easier for newbies as compared to Red Hat?
Mandrak 9.1 is easier then Red Hat :)

Best Regards.
Farrukh Ahmed
Kdaemon
Naib Subedar

Post by Kdaemon »

yah mandrake has good friendly user interface than redhat
but redhat is used above 50% in world at server and client level...
hb
Lance Naik

Post by hb »

Salaam all,

i think knoppix 3.3 .. is best for n00bs.

so easy and no tention. :P

tc all,
AH.
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titanic. -- Anonymous
Kdaemon
Naib Subedar

Post by Kdaemon »

hmm!
knoppix :!:
-and no need to install!
zaeemarshad
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by zaeemarshad »

Guys i think we need to define a few things here. The Linux distro count is over 200 now and still counting.. You cant test each of em in a lifetime at least with current lifespans being so short. As I think; one needs to define one's requirement. If you are thinking about a router/firewall then u have ipcop,smoothwall, lrp and a few other goodies. Talk about servers and you essentially come down to the big names only as companies initially wont risk running their servers on new distros that are more geeky like gentoo(not to say that i dont like it but i wont recommend it for a mission critical business at least now!!!). Talk about livecds and u have got a handful of them. u like debian, gofor knoppix and knoppix derivatives, slack fans will love slax and mandrake ppl has already put out mandrake move. Its just a matter of defining ur requirements.

One more thing that I believe is to distinguish your status. Are you a newbie or just a pc user srufing the web and chatting or do u like to poke around and learn a few things. My siblings(one of them is just 10) have been using linux for all their web browsing and chatting for about a year now. They like mozilla and gaim and think it is faster than windows(hehe i never told em i was using squid on my linux box.. clever!!) . will like to hear others comment on it.

The last thing we want on this forum is a distro war. Lets get professional with the answers and not to be obsessed with our particular distro ... right??

Regards
Zaeem
outstream
Naib Subedar

Post by outstream »

AoA
The last thing we want on this forum is a distro war. Lets get professional with the answers and not to be obsessed with our particular distro ... right??
thats right, but the guy on the link wasnt forcing to use the distro that he suggests...with most of companies running different types of hardware and want different set of softwares to be run on their machines, that guy was just telling how to make a choice, considering ur needs. he talks about hardware,sofware and support...the three basic things that , i think, every company needs.
Imran
Kdaemon
Naib Subedar

Post by Kdaemon »

-I agree to point that organiztion/companies should use that distribution that best suites their problem solver...
-I think there are many other OS which we have'nt heard yet :roll:
zaeemarshad
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by zaeemarshad »

Talking about the systems that we havent heard of yet, has anyone taken a look on Plan9 from Bell Labs. Dennis Ritchie, the father of C is involved in this one. I read a few impressive reviews about it. Has anyone taken a look at it.

Zaeem
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

download and install vmware. it'll work for a month. download and install plan 9. play around with it.

that's how i tried it. i decided it wasn't what i was looking for.
zaeemarshad
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by zaeemarshad »

lambda wrote:download and install vmware. it'll work for a month. download and install plan 9. play around with it.

that's how i tried it. i decided it wasn't what i was looking for.
Plan9 is more like a proof of concept. Its what the programmers wanted the system to be nto ruled by user's wishes. i think it wont make into stream line.

Regards
zaeem
hb
Lance Naik

Post by hb »

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titanic. -- Anonymous