which modem to get

Discussion regarding the installation and configuration of Linux distributions.
new guy

which modem to get

Post by new guy »

Hi,

Running Windows XP and am about to install Mandrake 9.0. Having trouble with my current internal modem which is an Intel 537 v.90. What is a good internal modem that would work well in the dual boot environment that I am trying to achieve.

Thanks
Company Havaldaar Major

Post by newbie »

buy any hardware external serial modem. it will be great for you.
you will be able to use it in every operating system . but if you have no money like me :oops: . then buy a conexnt pci modem.you will be able to use it only in windows and linux.
AsadR
Lance Naik

Post by AsadR »

A friend of mine had a similar Intel modem and tried to download the intel drivers from intel's website (Intel HAMradio drivers or something like that). Turns out this modem uses our good ol' friend Conexant chips. There's an entire project dedicated to support for Linux support for Conexant chips used in HCF and HSF modems. I beleive i've mentioned this link several times in this forum. maybe there should be a seperate forum dedicated to pakistan linux modem troubleshooting :)

...and the link is...

http://www.mbsi.ca/cnxtlindrv/

Asad

PS: if you, like the many others who will fight for a million years before they beleive their modem uses a conexant chipset, want to find out if you really do have a conexant chipset; just type "lspci" at your bash (how did i know you use bash?) prompt.
farhanksa
Subedar

buy the EISA or ISA modem

Post by farhanksa »

if u have got the ISA slot in ur pc then its the best and cheepest solution
try to find out used isa modem having jumpers for comm port setting and also jumpers for IRQ setting having a ROM BOIS on it .
it will be ok if u find an 33.3 or 14.4 or 28.8 kbps modem no problem
or find a external modem