Network, Samba, Telnet ...

Taking care of your Linux box.
mrkkhattak
Site Admin

Network, Samba, Telnet ...

Post by mrkkhattak »

Assalamualaikum,

I have installed RedHat 8 (now upgraded to RH9). I configured Apache, I could access it through http://localhost but when I try to access it through IP or its hostname (http://Linuxserver) it doesn't run ... I don't know what has happened wrong with ti ? as I did it previously & it was working fine.

One thing more is about our network, we have our main server based on Win2k ISA. So does anyone have any idea ?

Beside this another problem is about Samba, I configured it & it is running fine. I could access other ppl's PC through it from my Linux system but others are not able to access my PC from their windows machines (mostly Win2k) ... what should I check in its configuration to fix this problem ?

Telnet server on Linux, any good informative reply or a good link will be very appreicated :p

Thanking you in advance ...

Regards,

-Meraj
farhantoqeer
Major General

Post by farhantoqeer »

you may be running any firewall checkout your firewall settings. telnet is not secure so i would not like to use it until unless you have very secure infrastructure.
A: Yes
Q: Is top-posting bad?
mrkkhattak
Site Admin

Post by mrkkhattak »

Yes, we are running a firewall (ISA) on our main server ...
Telnet will be used only for internal operations.

Regards,

-Meraj
xahid
Havaldaar

Post by xahid »

he is not taling about ISA firewall.
you may have setup default RH firewall
(IMO) You need to configure your SAMBA again properly
remember, Samaba works as domain controller. you need to create users add them to samba, these users can access ur server from other pc's.
farhantoqeer
Major General

Post by farhantoqeer »

Yes, i was talking about your RH Firewall, disable it for checking it will work i guess. I cant say that you have played with your configurartion of SAMBA because you are unable to access your webserver from anyother workstation from your lan, bad configuration can be a secondry issue.
jargon
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by jargon »

Please don't use Telnet!
I don't understand why you still want Telnet, use SSH for security even if it doesn't completely provide what you need which I don't think there is anything that Telnet can do that SSH can't
- plus the really cool thing with SSH is X forwarding. Read the man page for more info.
jargon
farhantoqeer
Major General

Post by farhantoqeer »

SSH should be default choice for all Linux users. It is really like a magic.
zaeemarshad
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by zaeemarshad »

Dear mrkhattak,

Kindly check your dns. see if you can resolve the name linuxserver by pinging to it or doing a host linuxserver. This problem is often caused by absence of misconfiguration of dns server. See if your dns server is running. It might be stopped.

As far as your problem regarding samba is concerned, see if the security is set to user. Optionally u may join the win2k domain but it wont make any difference as the clients will be able to see your pc. One more thing. If you are not sure about samba, do check my guide at LP wiki about configuring samba. It always worked for me and many others. I am too lazy to check the link. so kindly find that out. am lazy and i am sorry. :oops: hope you dont mind

Regards
Zaeem Arshad
s7r1k3r
Battalion Quarter Master Havaldaar

Here it is.

Post by s7r1k3r »

Assalam-O-Alaekum!

Do a 'man smb.conf' to get details about samba configuration.

In order to enable telnet (as by default win98 does not have a SSH client, so telnet can be the only way in some situations), you have to edit the xinetd.conf file. Do a 'man xinetd.conf' to find help. In the examples you will find listings for enabling telnet too.
a10n3 s7r1k3r
jargon
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Here it is.

Post by jargon »

s7r1k3r wrote:Assalam-O-Alaekum!
(as by default win98 does not have a SSH client, so telnet can be the only way in some situations).
Thats why you go and get Putty, and install it under C:\Windows
jargon
mrkkhattak
Site Admin

Post by mrkkhattak »

Assalamualaikum,

Thank you for you ppl 's help :-)

When I closed my Firewall on redhat, I was able to access my system through http://Linuxserver from anywhere in the network.

As far as the Samba problem is concerned, as I told before that I am able to browse the shares of other users from my Linux system (although I have to give the windows network user id & password to access them) but I am not able to access my Linux system from win machines :-( it is asking me for a password & when I give any user id (i.e network user id and password or samba user & password, which I created for samba) it doesn't let me browse the system.

Hmm... I am now seriously thinking to install & run SSH ... :-) but first need to do this, as it is a secondry thing for the time being.

Thank you for help :-)

Regards,

-Meraj
zaeemarshad
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by zaeemarshad »

dear mrkhattak,

here is the link

http://www.linuxpakistan.net/wiki/index ... Up%20Samba

Regards
Zaeem Arshad
hb
Lance Naik

Post by hb »

[Salaam all]

firstly
samba / windows netbios network
is s***.

ms specific things r dirty.

use FTP, and why cant anyone use ftp?
even evry browser supports builtin ftp client.

allow anonymous users. and done.

yours/or other users' lovely IE shows ftp folder view... so i hope it will b looking same as smb shares.

even in windows explorer [iexplorer integrated into it,.. when u disable pictures on ur browser, ur wallpaper (except bmp) disapears]
just type ftp://linuxmachine
n ur done.

ftp is standard !!

use SSH. its best and ez.
[for u ssh and telnet are same]

rh9 ?? settings-services- run ssh daemon, if not there..
add/remove it in rh :) [ this is good part of windows :P ]

use putty.exe
its best remote shell client for windows...

for windows users to get to access to samba, u need to configre domain rights... tht is domain level authentication..
wiki wud help , hopefully.

later on i hope u will ask accessing internet from linux machine....
and by the way mostly users always say linuxserver
y the hell linux only meant for server???

its meant for developers... its developers luv.

and rh9 mandrake9 and slackware , knoppix are tooo user friendly..
may b more friendlier than windows XP
ask with a new user who touches computer first time. he will tell u which one is easier...

internet.

configure dns server on domain, for forwarding dns reuest external.
allo linux to do dns queries..
and form linux whtever u want program to work, allow its port opened.

also then set appropriate dns servers in order... to enjoy internet.

aah,
thnx all.

reading yet another s***...
:P

tc, all.

btw anybody EFNet ??

AH.
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titanic. -- Anonymous