LINUX 8.0 and Modem !!

Discussion regarding the installation and configuration of Linux distributions.
bios-e
Cadet

LINUX 8.0 and Modem !!

Post by bios-e »

AOA

I am havig troubles using my intel HAM modem. I got the thing installed and its dialing too, the problem is that after dialing the connection fails to establish..it doesnt even go till the username and password verification. Its like there is some thing wrong with the protocol establishment. I am using PPPD for dialing and stuff.
AsadR
Lance Naik

Post by AsadR »

First of all it's not Linux 8.0, it's RED HAT 8.0. Red Hat is a distribution of applications and stuff that comes with a Linux KERNEL that is actually your OS (it has a version number that resembled 2.4.18-14).

I think you need an entry for 0.0.0.0 which should map to your machine
name in your /etc/hosts file which is required by the PPP daemon.

Asad
mrkkhattak
Site Admin

Post by mrkkhattak »

bios-e , can u pls tell me how did u install ur intel HAM modem... ? or just let me know about which driver u installed from intel site, as there is drivers available on intel site for 7.3.

also let me know about ur modem's chipset no.

thank u ... !
bios-e
Cadet

No progress

Post by bios-e »

AOA

Thankyou AsadR for that vital piece of information about
RED HAT LINUX 8.0
. I did make the 0.0.0.0 entry in the /etc/hosts file but the problem presists. It just like times out or something, simply disconnects.

mrkkhattak my modems model number is MD5628D C-B and I used the 7.3 drivers as the drivers support 2.4.x.x kernels. The installation is simple just cat the readme.txt file, the make scripts are made so u dont need to do much
AsadR
Lance Naik

Post by AsadR »

Gone are the days of simple dialup-HOWTOS.

Are you sure you aren't getting any error messages posted to syslog (check your log files).

How did you configure the dialup process (manually or through some GUi tool)?
What authentication method are you using (PAP/CHAP/plain text?)

Asad
bios-e
Cadet

TRUE!! BUT

Post by bios-e »

AOA

I agree with u but some of still sit at out home and cant afford an expensive line. :(

The rest was all greeK...I dont know which log to look into and i configured it using a GUI in RED HAT LINUX 8.0, The Networking Device manager. It was basic stuff..nothing that complicated and the PAP/CHA/ what is that... SO U see extreme guidance required over here..:)

Bare with me...

Thankz
AsadR
Lance Naik

Post by AsadR »

I suggest you ask someone else using Red Hat 8.0 where the logs are stored. Usually, whenever any application tries to connect, it leaves a trail of logs showing all succesful and unsuccessful operations leading upto a PPP connection.
It's seems to be a typical /etc/hosts entry problem, but if you're sure you've entered the correct line, then it's most probably lack of support for PPP from the kernel (not likely if you're using a default kernel).

:?
oh well
i tried..

Asad
bios-e
Cadet

Thankz!

Post by bios-e »

I downloaded a HOWTO for setting a PPP dial up. Somehting i think i should have done before bothering u ppl. Well thankz man i really apericiate it. Hey im a newbie so guide me.. i wanna learn. I like Linux and am really looking forward to making a career in it.
mrkkhattak
Site Admin

Post by mrkkhattak »

hey bios-e ...

try to dial into ur ISP thourhg KDE's kpp, a nice dialing tool, there while setting up ur ISP, u would be able to set PAP/CHAP or both (u can confirm this from ur ISP) ... PAP/CHAP are password authentication tools which are used at ISPs end ...

beside that ... i am not sure but in Redhat 8.0 if u are using the default (GNOME) ... pls go to system settings, there u would be able to see a syslog gui thing (i am not sure about this, but it is somewhere there :-))

hope it may help u ... meraj