The Debian, the Libranet, and me.

General discussion about Linux, Linux distribution, using Linux etc.
Daboo
Cadet

The Debian, the Libranet, and me.

Post by Daboo »

Hi,

I need to get my hands on Libranet 2.7. Also why is Debian considered superior?? :roll:

Red Hat is now not installing, the cd's are freezing during installations. So back to Mandrake 9.0, but can't use Mozilla as it won't open after a while.

How is ASP-Linux?

There must be a way to get Libranet in Karachi.

Anyone!!!?
fawad
Site Admin

Post by fawad »

Daboo bhai,
Libranet does not publish their CD set for download. We could obviously buy a copy and flood the Pakistani market with it, but that'd go against all that we stand for. We intend to respect whatever restrictions the distros place, so we'll only distribute CDs that are 100% halal for distribution. As of right now, they include

1. Redhat 8.0 Download Edition
2. Mandrake 9.0 Download Edition
3. Debian (any version, past and future)
4. Gentoo
5. FreeBSD, NetBSD
6. Unofficial OpenBSD images (the OpenBSD proper CD is copyright Theo DeRaadt)
7. Other small-fries.

Right now, only Libranet 2.0 is available for download, but that's obviously quite old, so we decided not to publish it. SuSE, Caldera etc. will probably never be distributed by LinuxPakistan due to the nature of the copyright on them.

Debian is considered superior due to it's community driven nature. It's developed by a distributed group of users, and free for all practical purposes. I haven't ever used Libranet to compare it with Debian proper.
mrkkhattak
Site Admin

Post by mrkkhattak »

Assalamualaikum,

Fawad, I think we could add ASPLinux too, to our list of download editions of Linux distros :-)

I got my ASPLinux 7.0 offical copy from the Director of ASPLinux, who is from Pakistan :lol:
Winwun
Cadet

Post by Winwun »

I dont know why Debian is considered to be superior. RedHat seems to be the popular choice of linux users, but most of these users are not developers and they just want ease of use with economy. I personally want to try out Debian, not for ease of use. For me there's no point of using Debian if I dont get its source. The idea of community development is very attractive for developers who want to learn and gain experience.