modem using in linux

Taking care of your Linux box.
irfan

modem using in linux

Post by irfan »

i want to use modem in linux if anyone using modem in linux then share the experince with me and tell me which he is useing and which one is more suitable for linux?
Muddassir
Lance Naik

Post by Muddassir »

I have installed modem in linux and my linux is showing that modem is wokring fine, but never dialed from the modem coz i am using internet via cable. but as my linux shows me that modem is working fine so it will surely dial the number. I have GFXL mother board with builtin PCTel modem and soundcard. but the problem is that if i wanna use the modem then i must disable the soundcard then my modem will work. this is known problem.

I have heard that external US robotics works fine with linux but i am not sure. anyone else who know about external US robotics working in linux ?
Muddassir Sayeed siddiqui
Linux User # 282980
linuxgeek
Site Admin

Post by linuxgeek »

External U.S. Robotics Modem works very well under linux , any hardware modem like LUCENT "HARDWARE" modem also works under linux , mind it , i said HARDWARE LUCENT MODEM not the winmodem thats available in the market and is very common!

Cheers
--uppal

P.S : has anyone used a USB modem with linux?

Muddassir wrote:I have installed modem in linux and my linux is showing that modem is wokring fine, but never dialed from the modem coz i am using internet via cable. but as my linux shows me that modem is working fine so it will surely dial the number. I have GFXL mother board with builtin PCTel modem and soundcard. but the problem is that if i wanna use the modem then i must disable the soundcard then my modem will work. this is known problem.

I have heard that external US robotics works fine with linux but i am not sure. anyone else who know about external US robotics working in linux ?
Junaid Saeed Uppal
uppal at linux dot net dot pk
Cell : +92.345.8586045
Muddassir
Lance Naik

Post by Muddassir »

thanks junaid :D
Muddassir Sayeed siddiqui
Linux User # 282980
Company Havaldaar Major

Post by newbie »

now a days PCI modems which are based on the chipsets of CONEXANT and LUCENT are supported in linux and almost all modems of CONEXNT chipsets.
so they are LINMODEMS too not only WINMODEMS.
linuxgeek
Site Admin

Post by linuxgeek »

newbie wrote:now a days PCI modems which are based on the chipsets of CONEXANT and LUCENT are supported in linux and almost all modems of CONEXNT chipsets.
so they are LINMODEMS too not only WINMODEMS.
if this is the case ... can anyone who has success in installing these modems write a help guide / install guide sort of thing for a specific modem chipset ... as it will help newbies/other people a lot .....and also make a list of local modems which work under linux as people ask a lot about the modems that work under linux and are cheap ....

:idea:

:?:

--uppal
Junaid Saeed Uppal
uppal at linux dot net dot pk
Cell : +92.345.8586045
mrkkhattak
Site Admin

Post by mrkkhattak »

Yep ... it is a very good idea !

Bcz External modems (i.e US Robotics) are a little expensive. so it would be great to write a guide (installatinog/configuration guide) for Pakistani Linux users, as thsoe Conexant & other modems are easily & cheaply available in Pakistan.

so anybody, who has done this, pls do write & send to Fawad to publish on LinuxPakistan.net ... !
Company Havaldaar Major

Post by newbie »

i have configured 2 PCI modems till yet .both are working fine. both were based on CONEXANT chipset.
firstone was mine modem whose company is AZTECH and chipset is CONEXANT. HCF 56K modem.
second one was mine friends modem which is totally CONEXANT. 56K HSF modem.
conexant modems drivers are available here
http://www.mbsi.ca/cnxtlindrv/
for the most recent versions of suse, mandrake and redhat.
all i did was downloaded the required and correct driver from there and just installed it ,i actually both time downloaded the rpm package because of redhat. and every body knows how to install the RPM . after installing RPMs modems were accessible on /dev/ttySHCF0. and a symbolic link was created
between /dev/ttySHCF0 and /dev/modem.
Even the most old CONEXANT modems are supported. A lot of peeple are succeded in configuring their conexant chipbased PCI modems.and hearded a lot about LUCENT too. but CONEXANT is more cheap i think .a new modem of conexant is available in 600 or 700 rupees in these days.

often people dont know what is the chipset of their modems they only knows the company.
first of all plug out your modem and see the chipset because the manufecturing companies dont tell about the chipset company.
and in linux modems are recognized by their chipset not having any concern about the label of their company.
qadri409

thanks

Post by qadri409 »

:D
am realy happy to know all this ,this was great problem for me i tried to search it out but got the beta version all the time but it did n't work .
thanks for the precious info
Qadri409
farhanksa
Subedar

best is to use external modem or use

Post by farhanksa »

aoa
1. best is to use external modem
2.use the isa modem having the ROM BIOS ,with jumpers for IRQ and COMM port settings
3.not u can find the rpm for the conexant or rockwell modems but surely verify ur kernel version by uname
all mostly availabe pci modems in pakistan r win soft modems although on their box is written rockwell dual chip hard modem(conexant chipset
or lucent modem or intel (mbient chipset)
well if u find any use modem of 13.3 or 28.8 or 33.3 its enough as
u can usually have download from 3 kb ot 5or 6 kb bte i had 33 and 45kb unce at time of fajar prayer :) whole bandwidth utilized.if my modem was of more capacity i may have more than that.

another tip for u ppl is that pls look that how many joings or cuts in the tel wire have got. i mean pls do check that from the DP distribution point usually a small box tied to the tel pole. blace wire 0.6mm is comming out of it to your place. try to have no joing or cut in it. and also try that to terminate that wire directly to ur modem and then further more later extentions also if possible unplug the out goin wire from modem to other tel. it affects in the way as resistance or impidence miss match.
ptcl black wire is the best availavble i tried to find out it in market .wires in the market are just copper plated and ptcl wire is of copper layered .as copper is the best conductor it will not resist ur elec trical signals or bits :) 0 and 1
whole story ends with .direct terminate the wire on the modem then further extention, and no joints or cuts in the sire:)
good luck bye bye
tc aoa
qadri409
Cadet

Post by qadri409 »

thanks for this info it worked but does n't well as much it should
the bytes transfer rate is also low coz of beta version and it gets dissconnects frequently.the rppp does n't work well ,the kde is little good.
tell me about your experience
Qadri409
newbie wrote:i have configured 2 PCI modems till yet .both are working fine. both were based on CONEXANT chipset.
firstone was mine modem whose company is AZTECH and chipset is CONEXANT. HCF 56K modem.
second one was mine friends modem which is totally CONEXANT. 56K HSF modem.
conexant modems drivers are available here
http://www.mbsi.ca/cnxtlindrv/
for the most recent versions of suse, mandrake and redhat.
all i did was downloaded the required and correct driver from there and just installed it ,i actually both time downloaded the rpm package because of redhat. and every body knows how to install the RPM . after installing RPMs modems were accessible on /dev/ttySHCF0. and a symbolic link was created
between /dev/ttySHCF0 and /dev/modem.
Even the most old CONEXANT modems are supported. A lot of peeple are succeded in configuring their conexant chipbased PCI modems.and hearded a lot about LUCENT too. but CONEXANT is more cheap i think .a new modem of conexant is available in 600 or 700 rupees in these days.

often people dont know what is the chipset of their modems they only knows the company.
first of all plug out your modem and see the chipset because the manufecturing companies dont tell about the chipset company.
and in linux modems are recognized by their chipset not having any concern about the label of their company.
:wink:
Company Havaldaar Major

Post by newbie »

mine modem works better in linux than windows.and i use KPPP to dial.
qadri409
Cadet

conexant modem over linux

Post by qadri409 »

kpp makes alot of dissconnects i hae checked out other things too but still there is problem however the isp with redhat set up gave me more then 40 mintues of connections
:shock:
newbie wrote:mine modem works better in linux than windows.and i use KPPP to dial.
mahin
Major

modem using in linux

Post by mahin »

KPPP works fine but then what version you have? If you are using one coming with RH 8.0 or Mandrake 9.0 then you should try and eliminate other probable causes of this problem first.
qadri409
Cadet

Re: modem using in linux

Post by qadri409 »

i have tried it over 7.3 rh8 takes some thing like 5 gbs of hdd.what ever am goin to little older versions too till i make it over rh8 ..i will share it with you when i get it on.
Allah Hafiz
:idea:
mahin wrote:KPPP works fine but then what version you have? If you are using one coming with RH 8.0 or Mandrake 9.0 then you should try and eliminate other probable causes of this problem first.