LinuxPakistan and ITCN Asia

General discussion about PLUC and Linux in Pakistan.
eternal peace
Naik

Post by eternal peace »

AoA,
What we are going to demonstrate ? This needs to be discussed and will take time and this is your basic project.
agreed I will work out for that but we will also disscuss it on the forum so that ppl can share their ideas as well and it will also help us.

So, again I'm asking the ppl browsing this forum to plz reply and share your ideas that what do you ppl want LinuxPakistan to do at the ITCN?

We need to hear from you, so plz be active!!!

k.h
hail to linux!!!
linx9
Naik

Post by linx9 »

I'm just a newbie in linux and computers, but this topic made me interested in what you guys are willing to do in ITCN. I don't know what you guys are going to demonstrate in ITCN and how you gonna attract people towards your stall. Before you guys go any further, i think you should consider the facts before making any decisions. Don't waste your money in ITCN exhibition, unless you've got some exceptional projects up in your sleeve and people would really be atrracted towards your work. I think that you guys should wait till next year. During this time, decide what your going to demonstrate in the exhibition. First identify your goals, then set milestones for that project, and inshallah i'm sure you guys can do it, i have no doubts about your talents :). Though i'm a useless person at the moment in linux, but I'll always be here to help in any matter i think i'm able to offer my help. Wish you all the best with the project guys.....
eternal peace
Naik

Post by eternal peace »

AoA,

thankyou Linx9 for your suggestions!!

plz read my previous post in which i have given some suggestions about what we'll do at ITCN?
What i've planned is,

1- First of all we can display some systems running with different Linux Distributions so that ppl can see what Linux is capable of and can also display some Live distributions like Knoppix etc.

2- We can also sell PLUC cds, on ppls demand.

3- We can guide ppl for their queries about Linux and can also provide help that how they can easily overcome different networking problems through the use of Linux or Linux softwares like IPCop etc.
do you still think that the suggestions that i have given are not worthy or we can't achieve anything by doing this at ITCN.

you are right that we shoud have to do some projects so that we can present it at ITCN but instead of waiting fro the next year we should have to work for this year as well and then have to make our presentation better for the next year.

remember our main target is to create awareness among ppl about Linux.

k.h
hail to linux!!!
farhantoqeer
Major General

Post by farhantoqeer »

remember our main target is to create awareness among ppl about Linux.
I dont think that people who visit ITCN are not aware of the revolutionary Free/OpenSource OS and other Free/OpenSource software, you might got some when the entry to the exhibition will be free for everyone.

Do keep in mind that i am not against the effort but what i believe that you cannot achieve significant goals by doing that.

If you and all others who are intrested in it can think or hopeful that you can create the demand then go for it.
A: Yes
Q: Is top-posting bad?
eternal peace
Naik

Post by eternal peace »

AoA,

you are right but most ppl don't know much about the latest happenings and innovations that have taken place in Linux and that has changed the whole scenario.

but plz give some suggestions that can be implemented to achieve our goals.If you don't agree with my ideas then plz add some of yours it will help both of us.

k.h
hail to linux!!!
zaeemarshad
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by zaeemarshad »

Pardon me for asking such a dumb question but as you are the initiator of this thread as well as the project leader...can you point out a few good viable projects conducted by others at previous seminars...?? We can have some ideas as to what to do for the upcoming event. Also we need to decide that if we plan to promote OSS as just another usergroup or present a special image of ourselves..? ppl should start giving in some feedback but ideas will not be fruitful if you cant get the place at ITCN due to funding issues..

My two shillings

-Zaeem
eternal peace
Naik

Post by eternal peace »

AoA,

i've always said that we will work together so don't hesitate to ask questions.

I have given some links in my previous posts, you can get info. from there.

Actually we just want to present a proper image of Linux Pakistan at ITCN and we want to show that there is a community which is working for Linux.

Don't worry for the funding issue, InshAllah we will achieve it.We just want your input.

k.h
hail to linux!!!
farhantoqeer
Major General

Post by farhantoqeer »

Almost 2 months now from your last post, may we have current status?
A: Yes
Q: Is top-posting bad?
Qadri-409
Battalion Havaldaar Major

Post by Qadri-409 »

eternal peace wrote:AoA,

Tariq sahab I'm waiting for ur reply!!

and if anyone on this forum would like to help us in achieving our target plz step forward.

We need to hear from you coz together we can achieve this !!!

k.h
well i think you have got a nice idea of partcipating in ITCN event there is a guy here in linux pakistan ,with nick zeenix he worked already on making video wall over linux box you should contact him for the project rebuild and exhibit feasibility.
you can view the project at http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/apps/videowhale.html
wishing u luck alll the way :)
M Shahzad Qadri
eternal peace
Naik

Post by eternal peace »

AoA,

Sorry ppl i was busy in my exams that's why I was not replying.

Anyways thanks Mr. Qadri for ur input, it was really a nice project especially from a Paki and I'll try to contact the person behind this project.

We need more inputs like this.

Well for ur info. this project is still alive!

My friends are also devloping their own Linux Distro. so we can have their project also,now I think we can have something to show on ITCN.

k.h
hail to linux!!!
breakice
Cadet

Post by breakice »

Anyways thanks Mr. Qadri for ur input, it was really a nice project especially from a Paki and I'll try to contact the person behind this project.

My friends are also devloping their own Linux Distro. so we can have their project also,now I think we can have something to show on ITCN.

k.h
developing your own distros and exhibiting them is a nice idea.. people would come to understand the term 'open source' more closely coz a lot of people i know don't even know exactly wht it means

the main reason that i've observed for people being reluctant to migrate over to linux is mainly its installation.. a lot of folks dont know there are live distros that can be run without the need of installation.. (Knoppix, etc)

there are other progs like Microsoft Virtual Pc where you don't have to install the whole distro.. just copy the iso images on ur hdd and you can run linux with the help of this prog in windows!

somehow the awareness of alternatives has to be spread as well!

nice work guys. keep it up :D
Qadri-409

Post by Qadri-409 »

k.h
well thass far greater idea to show up your own distro .i think it should be your first priority :)
luck
M Shahzad Qadri
funaki
Lance Naik

Post by funaki »

yeah seems like a nice idea.if you guys are into it.count me in too.i will see what i can do.
Funaki
AMD 3400+|2GBRAM|ATI9800xt|120GB hdd x2|
Intel 3.2GHZ|2GBRAM|Nvidia FX5900| 200GBhdd x2|
eternal peace
Naik

Post by eternal peace »

AoA,

I'm really thankful for ur inputs and u ar always welcome.

k.h
hail to linux!!!
Qadri-409

Post by Qadri-409 »

eternal peace : do you have any update about what you have done till now ,plz share with us
thanks and luck all the way :)
M Shahzad Qadri