Linux user's in pakistan

General discussion about PLUC and Linux in Pakistan.

You r a full professtional running linux for your professentional work as well as routine work and how many totally non professentional user's use linux for routine tasks(which i am doing )

yes(pro)
45%
yes (non pro)
55%

Total votes: 31

umarfida
Naik

Linux user's in pakistan

Post by umarfida »

salam
When some one talks about linux growth in pakistan.Let's see here how much user's of linux in pakistan.
i myself a totall non professentional doing M.Sc Chemistry 2nd semister in UAF (never go to computer college only read books on my own behafe) runing redhat 9 for allmost 5 months doing routine tasks (using net on internal modem,sending sms,watching movie's,lisnting live music & news,downloading big files, mounted window's partition's,printing doc's'bourning cd's)
UMAR FIDA
ALLAH HAFIZ

Knowlage is power
Last edited by umarfida on Tue May 04, 2004 3:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
lambda
Major General

Re: Linux user's in pakistan

Post by lambda »

i've used linux since 1993, and i still don't like it. there's nothing revolutionary about it, other than the license/cost. it's still the same unix crap with the same unix sharp corners.
Zaheer
Battalion Havaldaar Major

Linux is Best

Post by Zaheer »

AOA,
I m using Linux from few months and now I dont want to go to Windows Back.Linux is Best

Zaheer
Good Judgement comes from Experience and Experience comes from bad Judgement!!
The more I know, the more I realize I don't know!?
The easiest way to find out is to try Out!!!

Registered Linux user #333501
jargon
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Linux user's in pakistan

Post by jargon »

lambda wrote:i've used linux since 1993, and i still don't like it. there's nothing revolutionary about it, other than the license/cost. it's still the same unix crap with the same unix sharp corners.
Its all about Windows.
jargon
adilkhan_86
Naik

Post by adilkhan_86 »

I am using linux since 2002 and i thouht that linux is challenging OS but windows give no more stuff to play if u run linux then u will search about it read and much more now i am using Mandrake 9.2 and i am not switch our to windows i have bothe Windows98,Windowsxp but Linux is Free.
outstream
Naib Subedar

Post by outstream »

AoA

what i have felt and seen in my linux experience uptill now is, the thing that mostly windows users (including me), find it difficult to completely migrate over to linux. no matter if linux provides all the functionality that we utilize in windows, still cant just live without switching on to windows once in a while. i dont bet on this but i think from all of us using this forum, more than 70% to 75% people still have dual boot system with windows and linux both, but after switching on to linux, i personally feel that a computer science related person should know how to operate this operating system. it just takes you deep inside itself. forexample u want to change the resolution of ur screen from 800*600 to 1024*768. in windows you just right click on the desktop, select properties, appearence and just change it and press ok. work done, but u really dont know how did it do that,u just know that its done. doing same thing in linux requires u to edit ur /etc/X11/XF86Config and manually put in the values for screen resolution. just not very click and do kind of thing. u really know whats happening deep inside ur box.
may be some one disagrees with me but it was just a personal feeling and thinking
Last edited by outstream on Tue May 04, 2004 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Testing?What's that? If it compiles, its good, if it boots up it is perfect.
----------------------------------------------------
Imran
Registered Linux User # 334322
umarfida
Naik

Post by umarfida »

salam
I totally agreed with outstream. You did not know in windows what is happening
behinde.Windows can be use by a 4 year child but not linux.You must have a sound computer knowlage.I personlly think linux have to go a long way in terms of ease of use.But if it happen you did not come to know how it happen.

UMAR FIDA
zaeemarshad
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by zaeemarshad »

With all due respect to lambda and his thoughts..can you kindly talk about those sharp corners of unix that linux inherits..My two siblings were terrified, if i may say when they saw SCO unix but liked the feel of linux though it took them quite some time getting used to it. One more thing...RedHat Enterprise Server is costly...do you stick with SCO or what??

I have been using linux for since 1998 though i seriously got into it in 2000. Linux lets you know whats under the hood. I used windows till early 2003 for my work coz linux wasnt just good enuff ( or maybe i was too lazy to leave redhat :) ) but now its simply linux and nothing else..

My chawanni.....

Cheers
Zaeem
outhanger
Battalion Quarter Master Havaldaar

I Hate Windows

Post by outhanger »

Perhaps this link would help understand Windows faults: Why I Hate Microsoft http://www.euronet.nl/users/frankvw/IhateMS.html. Though I don't agree with the author on some points e.g. his opinion about GUI.
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

zaeemarshad wrote:With all due respect to lambda and his thoughts..can you kindly talk about those sharp corners of unix that linux inherits.
read this book. it's about a decade old, but you'll notice the same problems in linux.
outhanger
Battalion Quarter Master Havaldaar

MS website

Post by outhanger »

Hmm...No surprise the book suggested by lambda is on MS website. How about a "Windows-Haters Handbook" too?
"Where blasphemy is a crime, religious freedom does not exist." - Stallman to Musharraf
zaeemarshad
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by zaeemarshad »

Nice link lambda.. I will read it and post my thoughts. Talking about myself, I am not the type who gets carried away with the phenomena or the hype. Talking about linux i dont use it coz of the hype..just that it satisifies my needs better than anything.. my siblings use it coz it never hangs during their chat.

Will someone comment on freebsd vs linux in the server environment. We are evaluating FreeBSD as an alternative to linux. Plz no rationalism :)

PS: I know it aint a BSD forum but still this is the best place to discuss it without flames or anything :)

Regards
Zaeem
lambda
Major General

Re: MS website

Post by lambda »

outhanger wrote:Hmm...No surprise the book suggested by lambda is on MS website. How about a "Windows-Haters Handbook" too?
if you actually take the time to read the book, you'll find that most of the stories and comments in there are from people who've used unix for a decade or so, and complained about it in various forums. especially one list called unix-haters.

but, you know, i'm sure you'd rather judge a book by where it's hosted than read it. easier that way.
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

zaeemarshad wrote:Will someone comment on freebsd vs linux in the server environment.
java is a good reason to use linux in a server environment. linux 2.4.x and 2.6.x do threading better than freebsd 4.x (the stable releases), and the official freebsd jdk is still at 1.3.x (unofficial builds exist for 1.4.x).

for web/shell/etc hosting, people use freebsd over linux.

a friend's 266mhz pentium ii running freebsd 4.8 survived a slashdotting without dying, though it was just bearing the brunt of one t1.
zaeemarshad
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by zaeemarshad »

any good almost unbiased resource where i can compare linux and freebsd? With the 2.6 kernel and better multithreading support in linux i think servers like squid perform better on linux htan freebsd....but then this is just my thinking and it may be wrong. I'd especially like to test the poll() vs select() thread management in squid on both OS and see which performs better. your comments are more than welcome.

Regards
Zaeem