Linux user's in pakistan

General discussion about PLUC and Linux in Pakistan.

You r a full professtional running linux for your professentional work as well as routine work and how many totally non professentional user's use linux for routine tasks(which i am doing )

yes(pro)
45%
yes (non pro)
55%

Total votes: 31

lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

zaeemarshad wrote:any good almost unbiased resource where i can compare linux and freebsd?
this is about scalability, but it might help. be sure to read the updates at the bottom of the page; both linux and freebsd (and netbsd, and openbsd) have optimized stuff since the benchmarks were first released (over six months ago).
outhanger
Battalion Quarter Master Havaldaar

Unix Haters

Post by outhanger »

lambda wrote:you know, i'm sure you'd rather judge a book by where it's hosted than read it. easier that way.
Hmm..well the book was hosted on MIT's website.

Ok, I read most of the book..its about Unix but this thread was about Linux. Does Linux suffer from all those problems too?
zaeemarshad
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Unix Haters

Post by zaeemarshad »

[quote="outhanger] Ok, I read most of the book..its about Unix but this thread was about Linux. Does Linux suffer from all those problems too?[/quote]

I am reading the book as well but frankly i am yet to be convinced. Though Linux is like Unix but it is not unix. while reading through some sections, i read that some of the authors were hitting hard on Sun OS( the LISPm guy!!). Linux builds on the unix philosophy but it doesnt mean it has to inherit all those flaws. Linux is much much better than Unix.

-Zaeem
zaeemarshad
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by zaeemarshad »

lambda!

i read the link and thanx for sharing it. After reading it, i came to the conclusion that linux with 2.6 kernel is better than anything combined the added advantage of linux support base and software that exists. FreeBSD is another option but a 2.6 distro like slackware is better than anything. Am i right??

Regards
Zaeem
fawad
Site Admin

Post by fawad »

lambda,
I'd rather not get into the debate on what sucks and what doesn't. Suffices to say that I use both Windows and Linux on a daily basis and have more 'fun' on Linux. I like it precisely because it's a lot like Unix.

That said, The Unix-haters handbook is a very nice guide about what sucks about the Unices (I've read it at least twice). At the very least, it makes for a good bedtime book :)
outhanger
Battalion Quarter Master Havaldaar

Not convinced

Post by outhanger »

zaeemarshad wrote:I am reading the book as well but frankly i am yet to be convinced.
I ain't convinced either. The book mostly points out petty bugs which could be easily fixed. I'd rather see less sarcasm and more constructive criticism.
fawad wrote:The Unix-haters handbook is a very nice guide about what sucks about the Unices
You can't possibly call this book a guide. And of course it only mocks "what sucks about Unices".
Look I'm not pro-Windows or pro-Linux and this book won't change anything about it.
"Where blasphemy is a crime, religious freedom does not exist." - Stallman to Musharraf
zaeemarshad
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by zaeemarshad »

outhanger is pretty right and though linux has become a culture lately(dont wanna say a cult!!) but i am not into it. I am a USER of linux and i love linux coz it delivers just the right thing at the right price. There are things that suck a lot about linux and it aint a perfect operating system but can you make everyone happy? Anyways i am a lot convinced now that linux right now is a better option than * BSD.

Regards
Zaeem
Babarq
Lance Naik

Post by Babarq »

AOA All
id like to add somethings,,, i have been working on linux off and on ... i use it as a tool to do wat i wana do .... not just be restricted by unknown factors things....
i mean for testing,coding and implementation of things Open Source is much better ... and Linux /GNU combination are quite effective in delivering that ..... i cant debate which 1 is better , but i go for Open Source and Linux combination every time i wana do some research n development !
Regards
BQ
Qadri-409
Battalion Havaldaar Major

Re: Linux user's in pakistan

Post by Qadri-409 »

umarfida wrote:salam
When some one talks about linux growth in pakistan.Let's see here how much user's of linux in pakistan.
i myself a totall non professentional doing M.Sc Chemistry 2nd semister in UAF (never go to computer college only read books on my own behafe) runing redhat 9 for allmost 5 months doing routine tasks (using net on internal modem,sending sms,watching movie's,lisnting live music & news,downloading big files, mounted window's partition's,printing doc's'bourning cd's)
UMAR FIDA
ALLAH HAFIZ

Knowlage is power
dear Umar
i 'm a non professional too i have an MBA degree and i got in linux systems in 1999 but seriuosly in 2003. i had just books to go on.for the last 8 months i have run diferent distros from 6.2 -9.There is some thing interesting for you and for others too .here in peshawar there is unix authority like person his name is Dr Lutf-Ullah kakakhel right now VC of sarhad university .he studied chemistry and got his PHd in chemistry he is founder of comp.sc deptartment in peshawar university and taught unix to so many people here.he is an old unix user and says i used to install unix from flopies when there were no cdroms.
According to linux users there is no body to teach you ..who ever has learned linux has learned on his own through books .BBS ,irc and such resources.
what makes linux your choice is the power you can go find deep down in to the net resources for infos ,you know whats happening behind the seen.
you can restrict stop ay thing coming to your system.
window though has made so many to use computer but have made prone to become handler of any mallicious attack and not letting them know that .
M Shahzad Qadri
mahin
Major

Post by mahin »

Qadri-409 wrote: here in peshawar there is unix authority like person his name is Dr Lutf-Ullah kakakhel right now VC of sarhad university
You are lucky to have him :) Those who are not familiar for their info [to the best of my knowledge] first attempt in Pakistan for re-mastering a Linux Distro and releasing same for public was done by Lutff-Ullah Sahib.

Please do convey my Salaam/regards when ever you get chance to see him.
Qadri-409
Battalion Havaldaar Major

Post by Qadri-409 »

[You are lucky to have him :) Those who are not familiar for their info [to the best of my knowledge] first attempt in Pakistan for re-mastering a Linux Distro and releasing same for public was done by Lutff-Ullah Sahib.

Please do convey my Salaam/regards when ever you get chance to see him.[/quote]

i do know about that he run the first bbs in pakistan but not that what u have just told me.
Thanks for the info .I have met him few times but had no chance to disscuss linux .an year ago he has made video wall on linux and now a days he is working for live video broadcast and he is done with it and has demonstrated in a exhibition at sarhad university last week.
here is th elink to see his work and details.
http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/apps/videowhale.html
any when ever i will see him again i will convey your salam to him
M Shahzad Qadri
umarfida
Naik

Post by umarfida »

salam
Dear Qadri-409
There is more non professentional user's of linux than professentional one's in pakistan.e.g there are 9 ISP's working in faisalabad and most of them did not even know how to make a dialup in Linux.When i started using linux I go to thier's office's to check them which one is using linux.when i asked about problem's of linux at that time there first Q was.:shock: What did you do.then they simply say we do not use linux .Among them includs two leading ISP.One clames the best support service.They say we run mail service on linux we did not know how to make dialup we just power on that pc after that we did not even go near that pc.So when proffessentional say such thing's how can linux grow in pakistan.

UMAR FIDA
umarfida
Naik

Post by umarfida »

one more thing my father is also a P.hd in chemistry currently Head of chemistry department at Govt college of Science Faisalabad. :lol:
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

zaeemarshad wrote:After reading it, i came to the conclusion that linux with 2.6 kernel is better than anything combined the added advantage of linux support base and software that exists.
at present, that's probably true. but given a choice between linux and freebsd, i'll always pick freebsd. it has better overall system integration; when you have the same set of developers who have access to all the userland utilities and the kernel, you can plan changes better. plus, the difference between freebsd 5.x and linux 2.6 isn't all that great.
lambda
Major General

Re: Unix Haters

Post by lambda »

zaeemarshad wrote:Linux builds on the unix philosophy but it doesnt mean it has to inherit all those flaws. Linux is much much better than Unix.
it inherits many of the flaws, and isn't any different from "unix". oh, sure, on some unixes and linux distros you can pop in a cd and it'll automount. big advance there.

on lisp machines, you could perform "edit and continue" with any piece of the code. that means you could change the source code to a running daemon, save/compile just the changed function(s), and the running app will automatically use the new changes. can we do that in linux yet?

show me a unix debugging environment that matches visual c++'s. you probably can't. does it surprise you to know that 15 years ago unix development environments for c/c++ existed that did what vc++ does, but they died because no one used them? unix people: "oh, we're happy with vi and make, we don't need those tools!". think of that the next time you use gdb.