Squid Best Performance Tune Up Configuration

Taking care of your Linux box.
Beloshi
Cadet

Squid Best Performance Tune Up Configuration

Post by Beloshi »

Hi AssalamOaleKum ALL Members

I have Configured My Linux Box I m using Linux 8.0 with the squid2.4stable7 and it is running fine but is there ne thing or ne add script to make my squid Perform towards my network best and if there is any such configuration so let me know I wuld b thankful.

With THanks
Beloshi
Do Bad and Remember, Do Good n Forget!
zaeemarshad
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by zaeemarshad »

put in loads of ram :) i mean at least 512 MB and then configure squid to use about 350-400 of it assuming that this system is for caching only and doing no other memory intensive task. you can also use heap GDSF policy. also you can locate the cache directroy on a raid volume(raid 0) or atleast on a separate disk than the OS. These steps will sure help.

Regards
-Zaeem
kernel-trap
Havaldaar

Post by kernel-trap »

how many client do u have ?

use Reiserfs file on cache directory aslo improvement

this link may be helpful

http://www.devshed.com/c/a/Administrati ... ith-Squid/

Regards
Beloshi
Cadet

Post by Beloshi »

Thanks a Lot zaeem and Kernel-trap for ur reply and zaeem i have already 512Mb ram and seperate cache partition abt 25GB of /cache drive
:) and i will surely look forward for Raid but not yet cause the Number of Clients on ma Half are abt 100 i know that from some hardware i can gain more performance than ne thing but the squid thing in wich additional settin is required to work more perfect and secure ;) if there are more solutions then let me know abt it i wuld appericiate
Thanks
BeLoSHi
zaeemarshad
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by zaeemarshad »

nice to hear that i am of help. also try using the malloc or dlmalloc library for compiling squid if you download the source. that should also effect the performance.

cheers
-zaeem
farhantoqeer
Major General

Post by farhantoqeer »

Beloshi, may i know how many users will benifit from all of your efforts?
A: Yes
Q: Is top-posting bad?
Beloshi
Cadet

Post by Beloshi »

arhantoqeer i have mentioned it before :) i have 100 users Running .... My setup scenerio is Like dat ... I have a Radio Link of 128 symetric pipe up and down Both and its All running very smothely but if there r additional tune Up for ma Linux Box Squid Conf then Let me Know.

and abt Reiserfs partition thanks to kernel-trap it was really a nice suggestion but i have to built ma Box again and it will cost me Loss of ma 16 GB cache but never mind i will try it thou smtime ...

Thanks
BeLoShI
kernel-trap
Havaldaar

Post by kernel-trap »

Beloshi wrote:arhantoqeer i have mentioned it before :) i have 100 users Running .... My setup scenerio is Like dat ... I have a Radio Link of 128 symetric pipe up and down Both and its All running very smothely but if there r additional tune Up for ma Linux Box Squid Conf then Let me Know.

and abt Reiserfs partition thanks to kernel-trap it was really a nice suggestion but i have to built ma Box again and it will cost me Loss of ma 16 GB cache but never mind i will try it thou smtime ...

Thanks
BeLoShI

move your all directories in /cache partition to some other partition
format the /cache with reiserfs and put the cache directories back
if u dont have much disk space on other partition try ziping it like

[root@Cache5 cache]#zip cache.zip * ( will zip all directories)

ok then unzip it after /cache is formatt with reisferfs

Regards
SoFh
Cadet

squid Tweeking

Post by SoFh »

Sallam All!
Dear Beloshi i am not an experienced user like others are.But i think may be one clue from me can help you.U didn't tell r u using UFs or Diskd for your cahce directory.If ufs then compile Squid with Diskd and i think it would let you feel the difference.Also play a little with refresh_pattern i-e increase the minimum value from 0 to like 5 or 10.
If i am wrong at somewhere please Guys guide me as i am doing all this on my own without any theory or class.So i tell what i think is correct.
Thanks~!
LinuxFreaK
Site Admin

Re:

Post by LinuxFreaK »

Dear Beloshi,
Salam,

There are many thing and lots of way to implement what ever you want. but you must know what you need and how can you do this. kindly check this http://squid.visolve.com/squid24s1/contents.htm

Best Regards.
Farrukh Ahmed
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

put your cache files on a separate drive, and put that drive on a separate ide controller. make sure the squid logs and cache files aren't on the same drive.

use scsi instead of ide.
dandywalisarkar
Cadet

Post by dandywalisarkar »

Hello every one am new to this linux pakistan forum and whil reading squid tune up instructions i came to know that sombody suggested using RAID :) as far as my experience goes RAID is a killer for squid performance.
------------------------------------------------
If windows were to be an animal, it would have been a fainting goat.............
zaeemarshad
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by zaeemarshad »

dandywalisarkar wrote:Hello every one am new to this linux pakistan forum and whil reading squid tune up instructions i came to know that sombody suggested using RAID :) as far as my experience goes RAID is a killer for squid performance.
Any reasons for that?? What RAID configuration are you talking about.

-Zaeem
dandywalisarkar
Cadet

Post by dandywalisarkar »

yeps the main reason for that is squid performs many read writes per second which comes as a bottle neck when RAID any RAID is considered none of the squid developers or squid configurators prefer using RAID in my personal opinion using RAID creates a Total cost os ownsership problem along with the read write bottle necks:)
------------------------------------------------
If windows were to be an animal, it would have been a fainting goat.............
zaeemarshad
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by zaeemarshad »

dandywalisarkar wrote:yeps the main reason for that is squid performs many read writes per second which comes as a bottle neck when RAID any RAID is considered none of the squid developers or squid configurators prefer using RAID in my personal opinion using RAID creates a Total cost os ownsership problem along with the read write bottle necks:)
many reads/writes per second means that a single IDE is a bottle neck while a RAID 0 configuration is a lot better. Nevertheless i will check out squid developer's mailing list to see if such an issue has been reported. Can you point me to a link where you read that statement.

Regards
Zaeem