start to the computer and take a slow time to boot .

Taking care of your Linux box.
tahirk
Cadet

start to the computer and take a slow time to boot .

Post by tahirk »

salam sir.
i have installed three os, but i also use the two hard disks.
on priimary hd1 . i installed the win98 & xp. on the 2nd hd2 .
i installed the linux 9.they work well . but the problem is that
sir my pc take a maximum 1 mint on to reach operating system choice.
such as
1.linux
2.dos
please inform me complete guide and i can solve this problem easly.
tahir
saquib_javed
Naib Subedar

Post by saquib_javed »

Salam,

well sir there is a directory /etc in your linux in there will be lilo.conf file if u have installed lilo or grub.conf file if u have grub installed as boot loader. Open the file as root there will be a tag of timeout and after there will be a number written edit that number this will be in seconds, according to your need but never ever set the number to 0 or otherwise .....

if u have intalled grub u can directly goto /boot/grub/ and open the menu.lst or grub.conf file and edit it

best of luck :D
Use Linux and feel Free.
OR
Feel free to use Linux. ;)
jargon
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by jargon »

saquib_javed wrote:Salam,

well sir there is a directory /etc in your linux in there will be lilo.conf file if u have installed lilo or grub.conf file if u have grub installed as boot loader. Open the file as root there will be a tag of timeout and after there will be a number written edit that number this will be in seconds, according to your need but never ever set the number to 0 or otherwise .....

if u have intalled grub u can directly goto /boot/grub/ and open the menu.lst or grub.conf file and edit it

best of luck :D
Err, I think you misunderstood his question, he said 1 minute to reach the lilo boot menu or which ever boot manager he is using, the timeout value in lilo.conf is how long the boot choice screen should stay up, nothing to do with why it takes 1+ minute for his boot menu prompt to come on.

Tahirk:
First its pretty rude to ask for a complete guide, it shows that you could care less and want step-by-step instructions which for this case could be anything,.

What i would do if i was you would be to check your BIOS settings, perhaps your system is checking all the ram, if so try turning off that option, see if your BIOS settings have a verbose or diag. output settings so you can see what is going on?

Also do you have the boot manager installed to a floppy or the actual MBR?

It could be a number of things, but I would check the BIOS and by trying to catch the initial output messages, just be careful not to screw up your BIOS settings.

How about pasting your boot manager's .conf file , assuming you are using either lilo or grub.
jargon
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Post by Faraz.Fazil »

Jargon is right.This has something to do with the bios settings.

Disable any pre-scans etc like The ram check...disable any other wait/scan options and also disable any pre post screens (if any) and Enable fast boot in the bios.Also make sure first boot device is set to HDD (If ur boot loader is on ur hdd)( I assume u have the bootloader on ur hdd)..Bios settings vary from system to system so u may need to check on that.
Linux for Life!
barlas
Naib Subedar

Post by barlas »

Asalaam-u-Alikum!

My friend was encountreing the same problem but it was due to an old 8x CD ROM, when he disabled it the problem was solved.. It can be the problem if you have recently attached a new hardware.

Regards
Barlas
Aqeel Zafar
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Post by Faraz.Fazil »

There can be many reasons including this one.
barlas wrote:Asalaam-u-Alikum!

My friend was encountreing the same problem but it was due to an old 8x CD ROM, when he disabled it the problem was solved.. It can be the problem if you have recently attached a new hardware.

Regards
Barlas
Linux for Life!