Trouble Installing NETBEANS 3.4 on LINUX

Discussion regarding the installation and configuration of Linux distributions.
sakbar
Naik

Trouble Installing NETBEANS 3.4 on LINUX

Post by sakbar »

I hava jdk 1.3 installed. Now when i run the installer of the NETBEANS 3.4 (linux) i get the error that the java virtual machine is not found & it asks with the command

[installer file name] -is: javahome <java home dir>

I have done java home setting in windows. but when i used the above option of is with [my jdk directory]

/usr/java/jdk1.3.1_04.

but it still give error.
I haven't yet specified any path setting in my bash profile. Any idea on it, do i have to have some symbolic linking as i have java runtime 1.4 also installed in same /usr/java directory.

I have Linux Mandrake Installed.

--SHAKEEL
fawad
Site Admin

Post by fawad »

Well, frankly speaking, the installer is a pain in the rear end, and for no particular reason. I alway use the plain old tarball from netbeans and that works out quite nicely. The netbeans installer is based on Installshield, and I have had a lot of trouble with it. As downloading the tarball might not be an option for you, try setting the JDK_HOME and JAVA_HOME environment variables before running the installer. See if that helps.
AsaifullahK
Cadet

Post by AsaifullahK »

check to see if the appropriate environment variables in your 'profile' contain the path to your JVM. If not, add them, and re-run the installer
Regards,
Ali Saifullah Khan

Hail The Penguin !!!
sakbar
Naik

Post by sakbar »

Thanx a lot,

Finally i have managed to run the installer, strange thing is that without environment settings, & with the same command i used again & again previously but it ran successfully.

--SHAKEEL