why are the downloads of distros corrupt?

General discussion about Linux, Linux distribution, using Linux etc.
salmanslick
Lance Naik

why are the downloads of distros corrupt?

Post by salmanslick »

hey i got a serious problem here , when ever i download a distrubution of any linux (basically thos iso's)(ya know what i mean, yeah ?) and try to install them . i get a cd read error even though the cdz pass linux mediacheck , but the md5sum cheks are never matched ,,,, whys tht? i use flashget to download iso s from official mirrors on fedoraproject . org :( wats the matter with them and y r the iso s corrupt ?anyone ever downloaded an iso with exact md5sum print matches ?
mahin
Major

Re: why are the downloads of distros corrupt?

Post by mahin »

salmanslick wrote:anyone ever downloaded an iso with exact md5sum print matches ?
We do all the time :).

I do not know how an Image burned from ISO passes the Media Check while MD5sum check fails. If an ISO is corrupt [ MD5sum check fails ] there is no way you burn an image file and it will pass the media check.

Please describe what you are doing and how.

Basically what you should do:

1. Use any download manager which can resume broken down load.
2. As soon download is finished, do MD5sum check over the ISO.
3. Once ISO is confirmed to be correct then proceed with burning ISO Image.
4. Try and burn Image from ISO at x8 or max x12 speed. This will take few minutes more while burning but will save you lots of trouble later.
5. Use known GOOD quality [ NOT Expensive - paying more is not a gurantee for quality :)] CD-R media to burn the Image file. At times there are media with diluted dye that it rewarts back after some time which could be any duration. What this means a media which passed the check will give error later on, as it is dye colour change which reflects the one and zeros.
6. Last tip use Linux and CLI to burn Image file, you will have less / zero coasters.

Hope this helps.
dajazzguy
Naik

Post by dajazzguy »

Follow the above tips given by mahin.

Regarding the ISOs , we all download them and burn them.
If you have having trouble downloading a error free copy. Get isos from someone or get cds from Linux pakistan or any LP member in your city.

That would save you from alot of hassle. By the way which distro are you trying to download.
Farhan Diwan
RHCE, Certified MySQL DBA
salmanslick
Lance Naik

hey fanx fo da tips

Post by salmanslick »

aey fanx for those wonda ful tips. i read this sumwhere not sure if this is right or wrong but wot my personal experience says is right :), ere it how it goes, i downloaded the iso on my linux machine , using the wget command and this time bof, mediacheck and md5sum check passed , i got SARTHOR (a user from this site) who can confirm this..
salmanslick
Lance Naik

hey dajazzguy

Post by salmanslick »

i was tryina download ubuntu 7.04 desktop and server iso , also fedora core 5 cdz ,

i got anova problem now ... can anyone tell me what distros have the following kernels as default

kerne distro

2.4.2 ????
2.4.2-2 ????
2.4.3 ????
2.4.7-10 REDHAT 7.2
2.4.8 ????
2.4.9-13 ????
2.4.10 ????
2.4.17 ????
osmansiddiq
Battalion Havaldaar Major

Post by osmansiddiq »

hi
I,ve been in the same case scenario as salmanslick ,still am i suppose .In Pakistan bandwidth is a expensive, blackouts a norm and the ISP or net provider not reliable.
1_In the past i,ve tried downloading suse10.1 dvd , got a corrupt one.
2-Tried sabayon dvd --same again
3-And more recently sam linux ---right now downloading third time 1st 2 were corrupt(I know someone will say rsync-- but i,m downloading at friends pc with xp , so if there,s something that will rsync in xp do tell)
4- fedoracore5 tried twice
5-knoppix4
6-llinuxmce

Someone posted that suse 10.1 would be available at karachi computers, asked them and they did,nt know a thing.
I think if someone has downloaded a distro and if he/she could pass it on to the local computer market ( in my case rainbow centre in karachi) it would be great , as i,d just go and buy a copy
salmanslick
Lance Naik

Post by salmanslick »

osmansiddiq wrote:hi
I,ve been in the same case scenario as salmanslick ,still am i suppose .In Pakistan bandwidth is a expensive, blackouts a norm and the ISP or net provider not reliable.
1_In the past i,ve tried downloading suse10.1 dvd , got a corrupt one.
2-Tried sabayon dvd --same again
3-And more recently sam linux ---right now downloading third time 1st 2 were corrupt(I know someone will say rsync-- but i,m downloading at friends pc with xp , so if there,s something that will rsync in xp do tell)
4- fedoracore5 tried twice
5-knoppix4
6-llinuxmce

Someone posted that suse 10.1 would be available at karachi computers, asked them and they did,nt know a thing.
I think if someone has downloaded a distro and if he/she could pass it on to the local computer market ( in my case rainbow centre in karachi) it would be great , as i,d just go and buy a copy

aey fanx for those wonda ful tips. i read this sumwhere not sure if this is right or wrong but wot my personal experience says is right , ere it how it goes, i downloaded the iso on my linux machine , using the wget command and this time bof, mediacheck and md5sum check passed , i got SARTHOR (a user from this site) who can confirm this..
salmanslick
Lance Naik

Re: hey dajazzguy

Post by salmanslick »

salmanslick wrote:i was tryina download ubuntu 7.04 desktop and server iso , also fedora core 5 cdz ,

i got anova problem now ... can anyone tell me what distros have the following kernels as default

kerne distro

2.4.2 ????
2.4.2-2 ????
2.4.3 ????
2.4.7-10 REDHAT 7.2
2.4.8 ????
2.4.9-13 ????
2.4.10 ????
2.4.17 ????