Establishment of Open Source Society at Iqra Quetta

Linux, Open Source and IT related events in Pakistan (news and reports)
blackphoenix
Lance Naik

Establishment of Open Source Society at Iqra Quetta

Post by blackphoenix »

Dear Plucian's:

Im a student of BSCS program Iqra Qta. we have formed a Computer Science society by the name of MINDS(Masses of Iqra's Next-Gen Digital Society) and the OSS(Open Source Society) is one of MINDS active departments with over 15 members. In this connection we require suggestions and recommendations from all Plucians as to how to improve and boost up OSS, as they r very few ppl aware of LINUX here so its hard to find faculty. I have initiated basic installation and administration classes, but i find our members lagging behind the rest of the world. Can u arrange for online lectures, v have an ISDN up at iqra so network resource wont be an issue. Plz do letme know ASAP.

Thanx
Man If He Chose To, Could Be The Master Of His Fate.
-W.Shakespere
jargon
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by jargon »

I don't think you should use the acronym 'OSS' which already stands for Open Source Software. Confuses people and since it's already part of the Linux lingo.
jargon
Kdaemon
Naib Subedar

Post by Kdaemon »

- yes he is very right about the OSS conflict thing
why not IOSS (iqra open source society)
MOSS (MINDS open source society) "qouted: and the OSS(Open Source Society) is one of MINDS active departments "

- and try to conduct more workshops/tutorials/seminars on opensource, it's importance. come across solutions that oss can provide, how the world is using it.
reg linux user #298274
n3m3sis
Havaldaar

Post by n3m3sis »

It is nice to here that another LUG has been formed in the country.

The first thing you guys should concentrate is getting attention.
Organize some kind of seminar, or a one day workshop, to familiarize ppl with the IOSS, and hold an install-fest on the sidelines of the event, where you get linux distributions and tell ppl to get their computers to install linux on it.

I hope that your initiative sparks a competition in terms of forming OSS support groups to other universities
blackphoenix
Lance Naik

OSS now IOSS

Post by blackphoenix »

Dear Plucians:

Thanks for all your kind & spontaneous responses. No doubt all remarks are very encouraging. I put forward the OSS/MOSS/IOSS issue to our board of governors, & though i personally backed MOSS, but the board of governors gave their verdict on IOSS. The way i see it, IOSS provides us is a wider perspective since our university has campuses throughout the conuntry.

Yes we are organizing workshops. The only issue is that only 2% of Quetta's Computer users use *nix as their operating system, so finding potentials is a BIG concern. i have scheduled workshops with professionals like Administrators of Cyber & Geo net after Eid inshallah. But we need more potentials. In this connection we would appreciate if any of you professionals could give us weekly Online lectures regarding Administration/Configuration & Security Implementation. I once again Thankyou all, & hope for the same encouraging response from you in the future.
-W.Shakespere
LinuxBug
Cadet

Post by LinuxBug »

blackphoenix:

Well you just start.. i think linux pakistan modorators can arrange teachers for your workshop but you have to pay them for lectures not online but for workshop in Quetta.
As you ppl are well aware and as my fellow said we hardly in Quetta have 2% of unix/linux users and there iz shortage of Linux Professionals so we have to invite them from out side city.
and this is for modarators of this community, can you ppl arrange any teacher, lectr.. or a professional for workshop in Quetta? if yes please guide blackphoenix.

Thank you
Bugz the World
Kdaemon
Naib Subedar

Post by Kdaemon »

so when you are done, do let us know the outputs.
reg linux user #298274
blackphoenix
Lance Naik

Linux: The Undisputed Future.......A Reality At Iqra Quetta

Post by blackphoenix »

Dear Plucianz:
A.A.

Im happy to announce the successful completion of our first 3 day workshop on "LINUX: THE UNDISPUTED FUTURE".The workshop was a huge success with the participation of 90% computer science students and 10% non-technical potentials. Day 1, started off with some Linux vs Windows statistics, Installation Feast and general Administration. Day 2 covered Linux as a client/server followed by Network and standalone security hacks and patches & finally Day 3 unfolded Xinetd services and ended with configuring and running SAMBA server. I would like to thank all our supporters and well-wisher who made the event a big success. Photos and other details of the event are uploaded on our website:
http://www.iqra-minds.tk
We have initiated the rise of the LINUX sun in quetta, & greatly look forward for support from linuxPakistan to make it reach its highest and brightest point in the time to come.

Regards,
BlackPhoenix.
-W.Shakespere