Workshop on Linux, Open Office & Thin Client Computing

Linux, Open Source and IT related events in Pakistan (news and reports)
mrkkhattak
Site Admin

Workshop on Linux, Open Office & Thin Client Computing

Post by mrkkhattak »

Assalamualaikum,

I got the chance to attend the CSP (Computer Society of Pakistan) workshop on "Workshop on Linux, Open Office & Thin Client Computing"

I reached there at 4:45PM (starting time was 4PM). When I reached there the workshop has been started. They were doing a RedHat Linux 9 installation & during that installation the Q&A session continued. People were asking different types of questions. Mostly those questions were of newbies type or sometime of comparison b/w linux & windows kernel.
After this session they invited the audience to see the thin clients (terminal based systems on RedHat 9). They told a bit about terminal based systems too. After that some refreshments ... !

Overall it was an average seminar, I didn't like the ppl who were throwing questions during the installation, I mean there should be a Q&A session after that presentation not in b/w the presentation.

Beside that the speaker did say a few things which I don't think was right, but I couldn't say anything.
* Evolution is not free (GPL) software.
* Linus Torvalds works at Transmeta.

Evolution is a free (GPL) software (http://www.ximian.com/support/manuals/e ... -info-note) & Linus Torvalds is now working at OSDL (Open Source Development Lab).

Regards,

-Meraj
lambda
Major General

Re: Workshop on Linux, Open Office & Thin Client Computi

Post by lambda »

mrkkhattak wrote:Beside that the speaker did say a few things which I don't think was right, but I couldn't say anything.
* Evolution is not free (GPL) software.
* Linus Torvalds works at Transmeta.
linus torvalds worked for transmeta for several years; he only recently left.

evolution is free, but some related apps (ximian connector, for example) aren't free. to fully replace exchange clients, you need both.
arfy
Cadet

The seminar was Interesting, we should have more

Post by arfy »

I was there at the seminar and I found it quite informative

What is needed in Pakistan is mass publication and marketing about open source software in public and private companies.

We should arrange more seminars and workshops.

Any Ideas are most welcome.
Khurram Ali
asaf
Lance Naik

Workshop on Linux

Post by asaf »

I was the speaker at the above event. As far as i know, Torvalds was with Transmeta as of August 2003. Secondly, I mentioned that Evolution client from Ximian is not free but costs $39 per licence.

Also, do provide input how we can make such workshops better.
Asaf Maruf Ali
PING Systems
Network Security-Linux-Consulting
605, 6th Floor,
Clifton Centre, Block 5,
Clifton, Karachi-75600
Pakistan
Tel # 5872438, 5868275, 5833971-2
Fax # 5868927