modem problem on mandrake 9.0

Discussion regarding the installation and configuration of Linux distributions.
metalione

modem problem on mandrake 9.0

Post by metalione »

hi

i had winxp instlalled. i had 1 blank partition which i had saved for linux. i bought mandrake cds from rainbow centre and installed it. when i forst installed it the cd got stuck and after repeated trials i installed mandrake but with some packages missing. i installed the hsfmodem driver and the modem worked fine under kppp. gnome didnt work.

then i got another cd and installed linux after formating ext3 partition. this time round after i installed the modemdriver . it doesnt work.

according to the listmod app my modem is a smarthsf modem. according to harware list and mandrakeexpert.com, this modem is not reported to work.

what can i do

thanks for any help in advance
AsadR
Lance Naik

*** ADMIN NOTE PLS ****

Post by AsadR »

*** ADMIN NOTE ***

i think this is like the 4th modem driver question i've seen in the little amount of time i've been reading posts in this forum. it would be nice if everyone got to see

THIS LINK: http://tickletux.sourceforge.net/howto/index.html

Which helps new users with their modems in Linux.
It would be nice if you (the admin) could make this post sticky or something so everyone can see it. Infact, I'd go as far as to say that you should create a seperate forum dedicated to dealing with modem problems in Linux.

Asad

Post by Guest »

thanks asadR but thank document is a little out dated and it didnt help.

:?
AsadR
Lance Naik

Post by AsadR »

what's your "lspci" output?
Metalione

Post by Metalione »

hi
I have determined the problem. Everytime i reboot the machine the link

/dev/modem > /dev/ttySHSF0

is over written. and the link goes back to

/dev/modem > /dev/tty0

how can i stop this from happening everytime i reboot???

farhan Ali
Company Havaldaar Major

Post by newbie »

echo "ln -s /dev/ttySHCF0 /dev/modem" >> /etc/rc.d/rc.local
AsadR
Lance Naik

Post by AsadR »

That's an odd fix considering that it's probably one of the other lines in one of the rc.* files that's actually doing the re-sym-linking. If you're using RedHat (if i remember correctly) it uses some silly hardware configurator/checker which is probably re-sym-linking the modem, or it's probably one of the device configuration scripts. If you really want to find out, do:

Code: Select all

egrep -rn /dev/modem /etc/rc.d/init.d/*
This should point out which file in the startup scripts is changing the symlink after every reboot. You can probably comment it out or change it to the correct device.

Asad
Metalione

Post by Metalione »

No use asad ... no file in init.d had an /dev/modem entry!!!