How to Install Ubuntu 9.04 with Software RAID

Discussion regarding the installation and configuration of Linux distributions.
Misam Shah
Lance Naik

How to Install Ubuntu 9.04 with Software RAID

Post by Misam Shah »

AOA All,
Can any 1 of you guide me how to install 9.04 (Ubuntu). I've two Hard Drives of 1 TB, I need to create a Software RAID, but it is not providing me the option to create it. Infact it is only editing a single hard drive partition. It is humbly requested to please help me out on this.
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

when you boot off the install cd, select 'expert' mode. that'll make it ask more questions, and give you more options on how to install things.

i think you can also bypass the install menu by pressing escape and then typing 'expert' (or perhaps 'server-expert', if you're installing the server version).
Watch out for the Manners Taliban!
Isn't it amazing how so many people can type "linuxpakistan.net" into their browsers but not "google.com"?
Misam Shah
Lance Naik

Post by Misam Shah »

you mean while booting with the installer CD, i should press Esc key to get further installer options, rite?

Brother I am installing Desktop version.
Misam Shah
Lance Naik

Post by Misam Shah »

On pressing the Esc button it leaves the graphical installation mode and now it is installing in text mode. Hope it works :roll:
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

i've never installed from the desktop cd. i've installed from the alternate desktop cd. i don't know if the raid option is on the desktop cd, but it should show up in expert mode.
Isn't it amazing how so many people can type "linuxpakistan.net" into their browsers but not "google.com"?
Misam Shah
Lance Naik

Post by Misam Shah »

No brother it did not work. Can you suggest what should I do? I have to upgrade my system from Ubuntu 6 to Ubuntu 9 or 10.

On Ubuntu 6 I've Software RAID 1 is created and LTSP and LDAP is configured.

Please need ur advise on this which version can provide me all these facilities.

Thanks
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

you could try the alternate cd. if you're not setting up a desktop, use the server cd.