Installing GIT on Centos 5

Taking care of your Linux box.
mejam
Havaldaar

Installing GIT on Centos 5

Post by mejam »

I have Centos 5.2...please guide me how to install and configure GIT on it...thanks in advance
Regards
Abdulrehman
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

download it, unpack it, run the configure script, make, make install.
Watch out for the Manners Taliban!
Isn't it amazing how so many people can type "linuxpakistan.net" into their browsers but not "google.com"?
mejam
Havaldaar

Post by mejam »

very good....dear i have installed it ...can you please guide me how to install gitweb....and how to create new repositories...is there any tool to manage GIT server graphically.....?
Regards
Abdulrehman
osama
Havaldaar

Post by osama »

hey can u tell me y u using GIT. I m using SVN and dont know about GIT. can u give some differences between them if u used SVN sometimes.
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

can you please guide me how to install gitweb...
sure.
how to create new repositories
that's pretty simple.
is there any tool to manage GIT server graphically.....?
there are several. i think you're fully prepared to use git now.
hey can u tell me y u using GIT.
i have a git repository (actually, one repository per project) on my work desktop, a git repository on the server (where i deploy my changes), and a git repository on a home computer. this way, i can work independently from home or the office, and share changes between the two. most importantly, i can work completely disconnected from the internet. i'm not tied to any "central" repository.

however, svn is perfectly good for most of my needs.
I m using SVN and dont know about GIT. can u give some differences between them if u used SVN sometimes.
yep.
Isn't it amazing how so many people can type "linuxpakistan.net" into their browsers but not "google.com"?
mejam
Havaldaar

Post by mejam »

I have gone through these links but no success..i have installed it successfully on server and created a repo too...but my windows client GitGui is not connecting to that repo...please tell me the command to create repo and this repo should be visible thogh web also...
Regards
Abdulrehman
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

perhaps someone else can help you. i don't use git on windows. gitk is as far as i get with a "gui" interface.
mejam
Havaldaar

Post by mejam »

GIT is just going fine for me on windows...but i need to set it up for linux....ther is nothing wrong with the server...i can see my repositories through web...but they have permission problems and all that...secondly i am not yet being able to find any helpful utility that can help me to have clients in windows with a Linux server.....
Regards
Abdulrehman
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

why do you want windows clients connecting to a git repo on linux? git works with distributed repositories; there should be a git repo on the windows box.
mejam
Havaldaar

Post by mejam »

what if i have my repo on linux and a user on windows wants to fetch that repo...how can he do it...there must be some interface for windows through which the windows based client can fetch that repo.....am i rite...?
Regards
Abdulrehman
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

you need to make the git repository public, either with the git daemon, or by making it available over the web somehow (a cloned repo in a web-accessible area, for example).

you posted about git on november 27. it's now december 8; why haven't you figured it out yet? does knowledge scare you? are you allergic to documentation? you've been stuck on this for twelve days.
mejam
Havaldaar

Post by mejam »

yes still i am not being able to figure it out.....i have been doing google but nothing good....
Regards
Abdulrehman
fawad
Site Admin

Post by fawad »

mejam,
The way you are responding is not very helpful for anyone wanting to help with your problem.
lambda wrote: you need to make the git repository public, either with the git daemon, or by making it available over the web somehow (a cloned repo in a web-accessible area, for example).
Instead of saying that it doesn't work, you should have said

What you have tried from the recommendations above.[/list]
What you did to verify the outcome of each steps and what makes you think they failed.
What error you get trying to clone the repository

Providing detailed information would help others understand where you are stuck and give you further directions.
mejam
Havaldaar

Post by mejam »

I have done it...GIT is complete and running fine...i have to write an inter office how-to for that....soon i will post the how-to here...Thanks everybody for help
Regards
Abdulrehman