Disaster Recovery and Backups

Taking care of your Linux box.
aquiline
Company Havaldaar Major

Tarsnap: On-line Backups

Post by aquiline »

Storing backups in the cloud requires a level of trust that not everyone is willing to give. While the convenience and low cost of automated, off-site backups is very compelling, the reality of putting personal data in the hands of complete strangers will never sit quite right with some people.
Unlike other on-line backup solutions, Tarsnap uses an open, documented cryptographic design that securely encrypts your files. Rather than trusting a vendor's cryptographic claims, you have full access to the source code, which uses open-source libraries and industry-vetted protocols, such as RSA, AES and SHA.
:idea: :arrow: Read More...
:idea: :arrow: Tarsnap Home
Sh@Ring is Le@Rning
aquiline
Company Havaldaar Major

Multiply Your Encrypted Linux Backups with Horcrux

Post by aquiline »

Horcrux uses what its author, Chris Poole, calls the Voldemort approach, which is multiple backups to multiple locations. If you're not a Harry Potter fan, a dark wizard or witch can hide a fragment of their soul in a physical object. This is called a Horcrux. Then if the physical body is destroyed, the witch or wizard can be resurrected. Creating multiple Horcruxes is a way to achieve immortality. There is a price to pay, however. Each Horcrux requires an act of murder, and each one diminishes the humanity of its creator.

Fortunately, using Chris Poole's Horcrux doesn't require any awful deeds, but merely editing some configuration files. If you're already a Duplicity user, Horcrux adds the ability to easily send backups to different locations, to encrypt them, and to customize each one if you wish. Horcrux also includes a simple way to test your backups.
:idea: :arrow: Read More...
:idea: :arrow: Horcrux: A Wrapper for Duplicity
Sh@Ring is Le@Rning
aquiline
Company Havaldaar Major

Rsync, It's GRRRRaphical!

Post by aquiline »

...every time I need to copy a group of files and folders, rsync is the tool I use by default. It really has everything—local folder support, SSH tunneling support, delta-only synchronization, speed, versatility, and quite frankly, it's just a great program. It has everything—except a GUI...Don't get me wrong; rsync works great without a GUI. I use it on the command line almost daily. The problem with rsync's amazing power is a rather complex set of arguments. It's possible to learn those flags, but for the neophyte user, they can be overwhelming. That's where Grsync really shines.
:idea: :arrow: Read more...
:idea: :arrow: Download Grsync
:idea: :arrow: Download Grsync for Windows
Beta
Sh@Ring is Le@Rning
aquiline
Company Havaldaar Major

5 “lightweight” backup solution for Linux desktop

Post by aquiline »

:idea: :arrow: 5 “lightweight” backup solution for Linux desktop
...some good solutions to save your home directory, this is the reason I’ve called this type of backup “lightweight”, the goal is not to restore the full operating system, just all the information you have in your /home directory, that for desktop usually means save all important information of your computer.

Naturally on a server this approach is not so useful because you want to save your websites, databases and all programs configurations, so don’t use this approach on a server...
Read More...

:idea: :arrow: Déjà Dup
:idea: :arrow: LuckyBackup
:idea: :arrow: Grsync
:idea: :arrow: FlyBack
:idea: :arrow: Back In Time
Sh@Ring is Le@Rning
luqmaankhaan598
Cadet

Re: Disaster Recovery and Backups

Post by luqmaankhaan598 »

thanks for sharing :D
aquiline
Company Havaldaar Major

Post by aquiline »

My Pleasure luqmaankhaan598! :D & Yes Contributions are most welcome :idea: :arrow: :)
Sh@Ring is Le@Rning
mahin
Major

Post by mahin »

Thanks! luqmaankhaan598 for your post and reminding us of our manners.
aquiline has been searching, checking and sharing what ever he has been
learning. While reading and benefiting from his efforts hardly any one now
thanks him. We used to be much much better, sorry aquiline for forgetting
manners.

Thank you for all your information sharing!
luqmaankhaan598 wrote:thanks for sharing :D
aquiline
Company Havaldaar Major

My backup strategy...

Post by aquiline »

/*
Thank you very much for your kind feedback.
I feel happy when learning new things and feel satisfaction when sharing. Since Linux is my Love and you know that talking, sharing, linking, discovering about "Darling" is lovely experience. I started this Data Backup/Restore/Disaster Recovery Information Sharing Series due to my own hard experience of Data Backups and Recovery. Some time you need urgent information in one place, no time to search Google, just a quick and dirty setup to get going on.It's not my own work, it's just a community effort to make a quick list of such utilities, programs and ways that help in emergency and later for good backup solutions.That's why whenever I find, learn or think that such information may be valuable to someone in difficult :oops: :shock: :roll: times; I share informative link(s)...Anyway Keep Sharing & Keep Smiling :D :) :lol: :idea: :arrow:
*/
Your first reaction to seeing this title might be - why the hell would I care what some pompous prick out there perceives as his backup strategy? The simple answer is, that self-aware lad happens to be me, which means you ought to listen - and listen good [sic].

All right, on a more serious note, having a sane and tested backup strategy for your personal data is the most important component of your computing life. It is more important than UPS, anti-malware or anything else you can think of. Because your hardware will fail one day, a guaranteed 100% bet......
:idea: :arrow: Explore More..
:idea: :arrow: Rsync guide & tutorial
:idea: :arrow: Rsync Command with Practical Examples
Last edited by aquiline on Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sh@Ring is Le@Rning
aquiline
Company Havaldaar Major

Five Best System Rescue Discs

Post by aquiline »

When your computer starts behaving strangely, won't boot, or you start getting strange errors that you can't pin down, a great way to troubleshoot the problem is to boot to a rescue disc and see if you can isolate the problem.
:idea: :arrow: eXplore More...
Sh@Ring is Le@Rning
aquiline
Company Havaldaar Major

Re: Undelete Files using TestDisk

Post by aquiline »

Recovery:

Each undelete program has different abilities, features, and support for various filesystems. Below are some instructions for using TestDisk to recover files on a set of filesystems.

FAT16, FAT32, exFAT (FAT64), NTFS, and ext2/3/4:

TestDisk is an open-source, free program that works on Linux, *BSD, SunOS, Mac OS X, DOS, and Windows. TestDisk can be found here: http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk. TestDisk can also be installed by typing "sudo apt-get install testdisk". TestDisk has many abilities, but this article is concerned with undeleting files.
:idea: :arrow: eXplore More...
:idea: :arrow: TestDisk, Data Recovery Home
Sh@Ring is Le@Rning
aquiline
Company Havaldaar Major

How to Rescue your Windows or Linux System with Rescatux

Post by aquiline »

How to Rescue your Windows or Linux System with Rescatux
Rescatux is yet another GNU/Linux distribution that is focused on the rescuing of other operating systems. It works in live mode and offers a rich set of tools to address a wide range of problems in Linux and even Windows. What makes Rescatux stand out from the many similarly orientated rescue systems is mainly its straightforwardness. Instead of offering a set of tools that will help you fix your “broken” system, it starts Rescapp right away which is a window that features categorized buttons to address a specific problem.
:idea: :arrow: https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/how ... -rescatux/
:idea: :arrow: http://www.supergrubdisk.org/rescatux/
Sh@Ring is Le@Rning