TSM - backup script help

Discussion of programming on Linux, including shell scripting, perl, python, c/c++, mono, java. Whatever tickles your fancy.
Shahbaz_Aslam
Lance Naik

TSM - backup script help

Post by Shahbaz_Aslam »

Aslam-o-Alakaum all

I want to know if there is any material i can find related to TSM (Tivoli storage manager) scripting in Fedora/Redhat/CentOS distro over here. In short I am in a search of backup script that should run whenever a user shutdown its KDE session..
I tried to place a simple tsm backup script in $HOME/.kde/shutdown folder but whenever the script starts the network connection got terminated before script completes and thus in result backup movement halted.. although i checked the same script by running it manually with positive results.

let me know if any thing else i need to test..

thanks
Shaz
LinuxFreaK
Site Admin

Re: TSM - backup script help

Post by LinuxFreaK »

Dear Shahbaz_Aslam,
Salam,
Shahbaz_Aslam wrote:I want to know if there is any material i can find related to TSM (Tivoli storage manager) scripting in Fedora/Redhat/CentOS distro over here. In short I am in a search of backup script that should run whenever a user shutdown its KDE session..
I tried to place a simple tsm backup script in $HOME/.kde/shutdown folder but whenever the script starts the network connection got terminated before script completes and thus in result backup movement halted.. although i checked the same script by running it manually with positive results.

let me know if any thing else i need to test..
Below Link may help you.

FYI, http://www.pseriestech.org/forum/ibm-po ... -3858.html

Best Regards.
Farrukh Ahmed
Shahbaz_Aslam
Lance Naik

Post by Shahbaz_Aslam »

AoA
LinuxFreaK wrote:Dear Shahbaz_Aslam,

Below Link may help you.

FYI, http://www.pseriestech.org/forum/ibm-po ... -3858.html
thanks for this post LinuxFreaK, at least some response i got after long time.. :)

The post/resolution in this link is related to Linux cron and TSM automated scheduled task which is 100% correct.. but where i am stuck is a bit different to it.. I have a very simple script for doing backup using TSM client. Script easily give positive results whenever started manually in console, but i want that script to be start when a user shutdown it kde session.
I also tested by linking script in .kde/shutdown folder, but whenever it started the network connection termination is also called by system, thus the connection got lost to server and the backup process halted. After a short interval the TSM server terminated the established session with client, as it not getting any response from it which is a normal process..
Again tried to place that script in .bash_logout, where it works perfectly but only when a user logout it kde session, not with shutdown..

I dn't think that KDE will let me do that so easily.. :D

any further suggestion please advice..
Shaz
LinuxFreaK
Site Admin

Post by LinuxFreaK »

Dear Shahbaz_Aslam,
Salam,
Shahbaz_Aslam wrote:thanks for this post LinuxFreaK, at least some response i got after long time.. :)

The post/resolution in this link is related to Linux cron and TSM automated scheduled task which is 100% correct.. but where i am stuck is a bit different to it.. I have a very simple script for doing backup using TSM client. Script easily give positive results whenever started manually in console, but i want that script to be start when a user shutdown it kde session.
I also tested by linking script in .kde/shutdown folder, but whenever it started the network connection termination is also called by system, thus the connection got lost to server and the backup process halted. After a short interval the TSM server terminated the established session with client, as it not getting any response from it which is a normal process..
Again tried to place that script in .bash_logout, where it works perfectly but only when a user logout it kde session, not with shutdown..

I dn't think that KDE will let me do that so easily.. :D

any further suggestion please advice..
I think if you dig little more you can find answer in this post. I do not have same environment other wise i can do some R&D for you in my spare time.

Best Regards.
Farrukh Ahmed
Shahbaz_Aslam
Lance Naik

Post by Shahbaz_Aslam »

AoA

LinuxFreaK Thanks for this link, but i am afraid that post not fulfilling my need.

Tech guys any further advice..any thing please share.
Shaz
LinuxFreaK
Site Admin

Post by LinuxFreaK »

Dear Shahbaz_Aslam,
Salam,
Shahbaz_Aslam wrote:LinuxFreaK Thanks for this link, but i am afraid that post not fulfilling my need.

Tech guys any further advice..any thing please share.
We are not here to fulfill your requirements here. We are here to give you an idea. If you need exact solution then you should contact IBM the vendor who have made that Application.

Best Regards.
Farrukh Ahmed
Shahbaz_Aslam
Lance Naik

Post by Shahbaz_Aslam »

AoA
Salam,

We are not here to fulfill your requirements here. We are here to give you an idea. If you need exact solution then you should contact IBM the vendor who have made that Application.

Best Regards.
woff:?: ..dude you took too much personal.. what i meant was to get any kind of idea from you and other tech guys.. regarding to right placement of script that should run at shutdown...nothing else.. thanks for your consideration. chill
Shaz
LinuxFreaK
Site Admin

Post by LinuxFreaK »

Dear Shahbaz_Aslam,
Salam,
Shahbaz_Aslam wrote:woff:?: ..dude you took too much personal.. what i meant was to get any kind of idea from you and other tech guys.. regarding to right placement of script that should run at shutdown...nothing else.. thanks for your consideration. chill
There are other people who say same to people and i do not take it personal. You are again asking for an idea and i think i have given you a link for your idea. Now if you meant by an idea is to provide you ready made solution then again my answer will be IBM is your friend.

Best Regards.
Farrukh Ahmed
Shahbaz_Aslam
Lance Naik

Post by Shahbaz_Aslam »

AoA
Salam,

There are other people who say same to people and i do not take it personal. You are again asking for an idea and i think i have given you a link for your idea. Now if you meant by an idea is to provide you ready made solution then again my answer will be IBM is your friend.

Best Regards.
Noo.. not a ready made solution.. just an tech help.. and regarding to that link it still says the same like I told you in my post earlier.. hmm i think I have to rephrase my query with a simple script.. Here is a simple easy script that run with service command. I added it to automated task by chkconfig;

Code: Select all

#################
#! /bin/sh
# chkconfig: 235 98 00
# description: Test script

case "$1" in
  start)
        echo -n "Starting new-service"
        echo "Start up" >> /tmp/test1.temp
        echo "."
        ;;
  stop)
        echo -n "Stopping new-service"
        echo "Shutdown" >> /tmp/test1.temp
        echo "."
        ;;

*)
        echo "Usage: /sbin/service new-service {start|stop}"
        exit 1
esac

exit 0
#################

now when the system starts.. the value 'Start up' is easily added in to test1.temp file but when system goes for halt the value 'Shutdown' never goes in it. But if i manually start it with service script start or service script shutdown command it works... :!: .. i really don't know what i am missing here.. hope that would be easy in understanding..
advice/help is highly appreciated ..
Shaz
Shahbaz_Aslam
Lance Naik

Post by Shahbaz_Aslam »

AoA

I believe anyone can give suggestions on this..
Shaz