Ideas for Open Source Stall at ITCN

All are welcome to give input here

Moderator: ProjectsAdmins

hosman
Cadet

Ideas for Open Source Stall at ITCN

Post by hosman »

As a first initiative PSEB is going to have a stall on Open Source at ITCN Asia (9-11 Aug 2004).

It is going to be a major booster for OSS community and your active participation in preparing for this would be appreciated.

Presently the idea that i am able to compile is;

1. A Cd containing softwares which are also usable with windows to let the users have a feel of Open Source Softwares

2. Develop a booklet on Open Source defining it, its benefits etc. and distribute during the ITCN

3. A poster presenting the objectives of Open Source Resource Center

4. A poster presenting the current organisations/individuals working on Open Source and their activities.

Your views, comments and any additions that u would like to make would be appreciate.

Osman
kadnan
Battalion Quarter Master Havaldaar

Re: Ideas for Open Source Stall at ITCN

Post by kadnan »

hosman wrote:As a first initiative PSEB is going to have a stall on Open Source at ITCN Asia (9-11 Aug 2004).

It is going to be a major booster for OSS community and your active participation in preparing for this would be appreciated.

Presently the idea that i am able to compile is;

1. A Cd containing softwares which are also usable with windows to let the users have a feel of Open Source Softwares
hm..we did download many packages,i did bringup this matter 2-3 years back but we coudn`t do it due to various reasons,u may contact tariq sahab for this purpose

-adnan
fawad
Site Admin

Post by fawad »

hosman,
I'd strongly recommend distributing a live cd distro like Knoppix. It will really give people an idea of the power of linux. It might be worth your while to customize the CD to include PSEB specific material.
LinuxFreaK
Site Admin

Re:

Post by LinuxFreaK »

Dear hosman,
Salam,
hosman wrote:A Cd containing softwares which are also usable with windows to let the users have a feel of Open Source Softwares

The Open CD is good for this purpose :)

TheOpenCD is a collection of high quality Free and Open Source Software. The programs run in Windows and cover the most common tasks such as word processing, presentations, e-mail, web browsing, web design, and image manipulation. We include only the highest quality programs, which have been carefully tested for stability and which we consider appropriate for a wide audience. More information about OpenCD found at http://theopencd.sunsite.dk/about.php and if you need it i will download and make a Master Copy for you :)

Best Regards.
Farrukh Ahmed
zaeemarshad
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by zaeemarshad »

I agree with Fawad about the LiveCD idea..we know our users ...lets give em a cd which boots straights into a full blown OS. creating a livecd is not a problem. I would suggest if anybody undertaking such a taks to take a look at morphix, slax, and SuSe live eval cd..The Suse cd is super kool. Superb gui..excellent hardware recognition.

Cheers
~Zaeem
Kdaemon
Naib Subedar

Post by Kdaemon »

Also include
in booklet
- Performance benchmarks of different applications.
- How O/S can be used for R&D, Learning with code availability.
- A list of major linux distributions along how they are good in specified environment.
- As suggested above "Live CD" will be excellent to start with.
- If possible list the O/S projects, in which Pakistanis are involved developing it. to have some moral high
reg linux user #298274
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Post by Faraz.Fazil »

Sorry for the kinda late reply.

I agree with fawad and others...

indeed your ideas sound gr8...esp the idea of giving out booklets with info, linux softwares cds and other stuff.

apart from that , it would also indeed be very nice to offer some Live distros like Slax or Knoppix..that can be run directly from the cd without the HDD.This way users can experiment/take the feel of linux...without the associated fear of anything going wrong.

You guyz can also offer some popular Open source free distros like Mandrake 10 or Fedora Core 2...which are very popular among the Linux users here....apart from that the idea of the software cd is also gr8.The cd can have applications needed for everyday use...especially for desktop usage.Everything from Multimedia Players..to linux html howtos and kernel sources can be included.you can even include free linux mags like Linux gazzete or LinuxFocus...

It would also be nice if visitors are given a lecture/ booklet which gives them information about the free online resources availalble esp forums like LinuxPakistan.net and CSP info....they should be told that everything they do in windows..it is indeed possible to accomplish that in linux...they should be made aware...linux can be used freely here legally...unlike pirate versions of windows....visiitors should be motivated towards open source and linux in particular.
Linux for Life!
Kdaemon
Naib Subedar

Post by Kdaemon »

Faraz.Fazil wrote: It would also be nice if visitors are given a lecture/ booklet which gives them information about the free online resources .
-yes it will be good, atleast giving them something to start from.

-why not giving (free) Pen, pads,shirts labeling O/S linux, as many O/S projects sell these kind of stuff to promote it and create it's awareness.
-providing linux interactive trainging CD's (have found a couple in market)
reg linux user #298274
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Post by Faraz.Fazil »

Kdaemon, as far as training videos are concerned, only stuff licensed under gnu gpl (i.e freely available on the net etc) can be/should be given out(Like distros like fedora core 2 which can be downloaded for free..but not available in karachi markets...or mandrake 10 ce free version)...most of the video trainings are not free../not licensed under gpl.

And ofcourse there will be a limit on the amount of free stuff that can be given out...the ppl setting up the stall are not bill gates or are they?
Linux for Life!
hamdan
Lance Naik

Yar will you guys be there?

Post by hamdan »

Salam to ALL

Yar! Why not to have one of our own (Opensource mela) install-feast if you would like to call it.

I read this in some linux admin book that install-feast are arranged by the local gurus, where people can get free distros and the stuff you guys are talking about.

We can arrange it in some Shadi-lawn.

Willing to volunteer if needed.
farhantoqeer
Major General

Post by farhantoqeer »

Tariq bhai has all plans about it (install festival) under his belt, we have talked about it 2 years back. Its indeed a good thing to do rather wasting time and money at ITCN (personaly i dont think that venue is benificial) Most of those who visit already knows about many things, i dont feel that joining hands at ITCN would make any difference, I am not condemening that, better to try this, Install festival is rather more worthy then standing in the stall and listening to music all day :)
A: Yes
Q: Is top-posting bad?
eternal peace
Naik

Post by eternal peace »

AoA,

Actually i had proposed the idea about the participation of Open Sourced Software and Linux at ITCN about 3 to 4 months back, and we had discussed it also, u can see the thread here,

http://www.linuxpakistan.net/forum2x/vi ... +itcn+asia

but the main problem was getting a stall at the ITCN. But now I'm really glad that this has actually came to reality.

and we are here to help you,

k.h
hail to linux!!!
mahin
Major

Post by mahin »

Pakistan Software Export Board [ PSEB ] is in Hall 2 and stall number is B-079.

You can see floor map here to have an idea however while numbering is correct names are not correct in map.

PSEB will be distributing a small introductory brochure on Open Source.

Among business visitors they will distribute GNUWin II CD which contains GPL Software for Windows.

Those who do not qualify for Free CD at ITCN [ quantity is very limited ] can get a copy either from Linux Pakistan or Computer Society of Pakistan or even from Rainbow Center or CD store in your locality.

Please spare few moments and do fill in your data in this directory. Do check the actual listings if you know some one who should be here please send them an email [ do not fill your self ] asking them to include their information in this directory.

If you are a developer and have worked on any GPL project and you have not received an invitation to ITCN then please contact me through email and we can try and arrange invitation for you. Due to llimited availability of invitions this offer is focused upon developers though others can also contact but no commitment.
mahin
Major

Re: Yar will you guys be there?

Post by mahin »

We need volunteer's , if you are serious register here and suggest location.

Dr. Adnan Ahmad Qureshi of CSP has offered the CSP premises at Clifton , so we can start from there but we need to hold that in other parts of city also like Nazimabad, Orangi, New Karachi, F.B. Area, Malir, Landhi etc.

This year few vendors who are displaying Linux / Open Source products and services at ITCN. If space permits then along with install fest CSP can be persuaded to hold a small exibition focused upon Linux/Open Source.

Volunteers ? Ideas ?
hamdan wrote: We can arrange it in some Shadi-lawn.

Willing to volunteer if needed.
eternal peace
Naik

Post by eternal peace »

AoA.

Tariq Sahab Install fest will be great.

Count me in as volunteer.

k.h
hail to linux!!!