supernetting

Protecting your Linux box
ilias
Lance Naik

supernetting

Post by ilias »

Hi all

I have class C network of 192.168.0.x, almost i have 240 host on the network and running out of IP address. I don't want to change to 172.16.x.x. or 10.x.x.x

I have decided to do supernetting i.e i will have another network of 192.168.1.x and change the subnetmask of both network to 255.255.254.0, so that both the network will behave as one.

MY QUERY is that, will this supernetting will have any effect on network performance
lambda
Major General

Re: supernetting

Post by lambda »

no. the larger the network is, the more broadcasts there will be, and that's about all you have to watch out for. run trafshow or tcpdump or something on your 240 node network and see how much of the traffic is arp or other broadcasts.

alternatively, will dhcp work for you?
turab
Company Havaldaar Major

Post by turab »

Salam Dear ilias,
Supernetting/Classless Inter-Domain Routing is a way to aggregate multiple internet addresses of the same class. it will not have any deleterious effect on the network performance.

Regards,
Turab
Good Judgement comes from Experience and Experience comes from bad Judgement!!
The more I know, the more I realize I don't know!?
The easiest way to find out is to try it!!!
assumption is the mother of all f*** ups

Register Lynx user # 425340
ilias
Lance Naik

Post by ilias »

Valaikum assalam

Tks for your replies, yes i have DHCP server in our network, IPs to all 180+ clients is through DHCP. I need not worry about broadcast as i have switches and no hubs available in the network.

I vil have 1 network 192.168.1.x to all clients and 192.168.0.x to all servers and do the supernetting with a mask of 255.255.252.0.

My only concern is of about network performance.
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

ilias wrote:I need not worry about broadcast as i have switches and no hubs available in the network.
layer 2 switches can't do anything about broadcasts: whenever they see a broadcast packet, they send it to all ports.
Muhammad Asim
Lance Naik

Post by Muhammad Asim »

Yes Lambada is right,
Layer 2 Switech can't stop Broadcast, its just like a HUB
until its having A builtin IOS that can manage broadcast.
:idea:

Regards,
Muhammad Asim Gul
Lahore