Why bandwidth limits on DSL

General discussion about PLUC and Linux in Pakistan.
Shahryar
Naik

Why bandwidth limits on DSL

Post by Shahryar »

I would like to learn why all the DSL service providers in Pakistan have placed data limits on DSL service. For example, most providers put a 1GB/month limit on basic 128kb service.

Is this a technical issue or is the consumer being ripped off?

I asked a computer guy at an American multinational how they deal with the data limit. His response: "Heck! the company wants to pay for it so who cares if we have to pay 5 times the monthly fee on over-limit charges. The idiots at the top think DSL is more secure than cable. Besides, it ain't coming out of my pocket."

If it is a marketing ploy then, at the very least, the service providers are guilty of violating the Monoply Control Act, and also free competition policy of the PTA.
--
S.S.
--
lambda
Major General

Re: Why bandwidth limits on DSL

Post by lambda »

Shahryar wrote:I would like to learn why all the DSL service providers in Pakistan have placed data limits on DSL service. For example, most providers put a 1GB/month limit on basic 128kb service.
they haven't -- it's just a way to make the dsl connections cheaper. you can get an unlimited 256kbit connection for rs 8,000/mo -- but who'll pay that much for something they won't use 24 hours a day? so, they offer cheaper packages -- 256kbit with a 2gb transfer limit for rs 2,000/mo, for example.

for comparison purposes, if you tried to get a similar 256kbit link directly from ptc (thus bypassing the dsl isp), you'd have to pay about rs 20,000/mo. isps have to pay iti (ptc) or flag a lot of money for their links. and, if you think ptc's rates are high, well, they're almost half of what they were a year ago.

worldcall has a lot of customers -- more than any single dsl provider -- and a lot of bandwidth. that's how they can get away with charging less (200kbit/sec with no limit for rs 2,500/mo).
I asked a computer guy at an American multinational how they deal with the data limit.
companies can afford an unlimited dsl link; it's just too expensive for residential customers. i had a 128kbit link from nexlinx at my previous office (later upgraded to 256kbit). i didn't have to worry about whether i'd run out of bytes before the end of the month -- something that's always a concern for me at home (i have a 128kbit/2gb there).

one difference between dsl in pakistan and elsewhere is that when you pay for a 256kbit link, you get 256kbit both ways. in the states, you'd be paying for 768 down/256 up, or something like that. i just checked a friend's isp's web page, and it says
768 down/128 up - $47.50/mo
384 down/384 up - $67.50/mo
1.5mbit down/384 up - $67.50/mo
768 down/768 up - $98.00/mo
high upload speeds are expensive.
If it is a marketing ploy then, at the very least, the service providers are guilty of violating the Monoply Control Act, and also free competition policy of the PTA.
until ptc lowers its prices to a more reasonable level, isn't going to be cheaper.

if you can get worldcall in lahore, get the 200kbit package, and use the "double bandwidth" feature they have (pay for 3 or 6 months in advance) to get 400kbit/sec. i think that's the best option for residences right now.
Shahryar
Naik

Post by Shahryar »

If the above is correct then why is unlimited DSL cheaper than cable in the rest of the world ie. US Canada and UK?
--
S.S.
--
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

i'm not sure it's really all that cheaper -- comcast cable, for example, gives you up to 6mbit/sec down for $56.95 in san francisco. speakeasy dsl gives you up to 6mbit down/768 up for $99.95/mo. their lowest package available in most areas is 1.5mbit down/384 up costs $49.95. shaw cable in calgary (alberta, canada) has its cheapest package (5mbit down) at can$31.20/mo. smartnet dsl in calgary costs can$29.95 for 3mbit down/800 up.

things are different in the uk because they have adsl2, and you can find packages for up to 16mbit down. it's also a smaller and denser country.

if you have counterexamples, i'd like to see them.
Shahryar
Naik

Post by Shahryar »

Thank you for the price comparison.
--
S.S.
--
hackerslog
Lance Naik

Post by hackerslog »

Which is cheap in Karachi specially for purpose of home user downloads ? Lets say Cyber DSL or Gerrys are all volume based and you can not download torrnet files which are over 2 GB unless you pay excess amount :(
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

step 1. look at their web sites or call them up
step 2. post results here for others to read
rhcepk
Naik

Post by rhcepk »

ASALAM-O-ALIKUM

how are you

Please check the web site www.multi.net.pk you find a very low rates

*For Karachi

128Kbps Unlimited 1499Rs/Month

256Kbps Unlimited 1999Rs/Month

256Kbps ( 2 GB ) 999Rs/Month

These are Home Packages
hackerslog
Lance Naik

Post by hackerslog »

Thanks rhcepk for the info :) sure Multinet packages are compartively better. I think I may go and try without modem package and may buy modem myself might be it will cheap ?
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

i bought a dlink g624-t about a year ago, for around rs 6,000. it's a dsl modem with four ports and (this is why it's expensive) wifi. works great, even runs linux natively (you can ssh in and run iptables to change the rules). it's only downside is that it doesn't have a modem.

whatever you do, don't buy a dsl modem that uses usb. it'll make it a bit harder to share an internet link, and sometimes you can't find drivers for linux or os x.
hackerslog
Lance Naik

Post by hackerslog »

Thanks for the info :)