Limewire

Linux and open source software on CD's and DVD's
usamamuneeb
Lance Naik

Limewire

Post by usamamuneeb »

My friend says that Limewire can cross 250 kilobytes of data transfer per second. He has a 100 kbps dialup. And i have a 128 kbps DSL but my download speed is min 337 bytes persecond and max 12 kBps. How do we download it using Limewire?
LinuxFreaK
Site Admin

Re: Limewire

Post by LinuxFreaK »

Dear usamamuneeb,
Salam,
usamamuneeb wrote:My friend says that Limewire can cross 250 kilobytes of data transfer per second. He has a 100 kbps dialup. And i have a 128 kbps DSL but my download speed is min 337 bytes persecond and max 12 kBps. How do we download it using Limewire?
Download what ?

Best Regards.
Farrukh Ahmed
usamamuneeb
Lance Naik

Post by usamamuneeb »

Download an ISO. But does Limewire really cross that?
LinuxFreaK
Site Admin

Re:

Post by LinuxFreaK »

Dear usamamuneeb,
Salam,
usamamuneeb wrote:Download an ISO. But does Limewire really cross that?
Never used it.

Best Regards.
Farrukh Ahmed
ashariqbal
Havaldaar

Post by ashariqbal »

I think that gtk-gnutella works with Limewire
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

usamamuneeb wrote:My friend says that Limewire can cross 250 kilobytes of data transfer per second. He has a 100 kbps dialup. And i have a 128 kbps DSL but my download speed is min 337 bytes persecond and max 12 kBps. How do we download it using Limewire?
you appear confused about bits and bytes. downloading at 8 bits/sec is equivalent to downloading at 1 byte/sec. so, downloading at 128 kbit/sec (approximately 128 thousand bits/sec) is downloading at 16 kbyte/sec. because of dsl overheard, you're unlikely to go over 12 or 13 kbyte/sec.

there's no way to download 250 kbytes/sec data over a 100 kbit/sec dialup (and how does he have 100 kbit/sec dialup? two modems?). the only way you'll get 250 kbyte/sec downloads with limewire, or anything else, is if you have something like a 2mbit link to the internet. 250 kbyte/sec on a 100 kbit/sec link? the math does not add up.

add to that the fact that some isps rate-limit bittorrent, gnutella (limewire), etc traffic, and you're left with downloading over ftp or http (preferably the latter).
Watch out for the Manners Taliban!
Isn't it amazing how so many people can type "linuxpakistan.net" into their browsers but not "google.com"?
henrygrik
Cadet

Post by henrygrik »

lambda wrote:
you appear confused about bits and bytes. downloading at 8 bits/sec is equivalent to downloading at 1 byte/sec. so, downloading at 128 kbit/sec (approximately 128 thousand bits/sec) is downloading at 16 kbyte/sec. because of dsl overheard, you're unlikely to go over 12 or 13 kbyte/sec.

there's no way to download 250 kbytes/sec data over a 100 kbit/sec dialup (and how does he have 100 kbit/sec dialup? two modems?). the only way you'll get 250 kbyte/sec downloads with limewire, or anything else, is if you have something like a 2mbit link to the internet. 250 kbyte/sec on a 100 kbit/sec link? the math does not add up.

add to that the fact that some isps rate-limit bittorrent, gnutella (limewire), etc traffic, and you're left with downloading over ftp or http (preferably the latter).
Hi usamamuneeb,
I totally agree with lambda. Even if you a have a connection of direct lease line connection that also of higher bandwidth, then there may be chance of downloading such a great speed. But as you stated in your statement, You seems to be totally confused or messed up with the bit and byte.
usamamuneeb
Lance Naik

Post by usamamuneeb »

@henrygrik!

The last post was written two years back! :wink: