Want to switch Linux.

General discussion about Linux, Linux distribution, using Linux etc.
gardenair
Havaldaar

Want to switch Linux.

Post by gardenair »

Assalamo-Alicum,
I need help from Linux users. I am using windows server 2008 in my organization for Active Directory/ DNS / File server and for internet i am using windows server 2003 with ISA Server 2006.
The problem is expensive license of windows servers I want switch into Linux due this issues.Please guide me for for above mention things does Linux support User authentication, File server,DNS ? For internet I want to use Squid .Which distribution should I use?

Well for a windows system administrator what u suggest that from were I may start Linux.....so I may able to make my own DNS and Squid server?

Should be sooo much thankful for the guidanc.
garden
Kamran.Ahmed
Lance Naik

Post by Kamran.Ahmed »

with Linux you can do anything you can use Fedora Core 8 Ubuntu Server and Redhat with full confidence i prefer Ubuntu Server.

moreover DNS Squid and LDAP Are child play for Linux
Kamran Ahmed Khan
kamran.cisco@gmail.com
Registered Linux User # 526139
www.allaboutlinux.org
gardenair
Havaldaar

Post by gardenair »

thanks for the suggestions.Well for a new user let me recommend a good site to start learning Linux .In my opinion 1st I shall learn the "abc" of LINUX commands which are also used in UNIX like VI editor etc etc.
In Pakistan is there any Govt Institute which offer Linux training? Lahore or Islamabad? Though I have a very little knowledge of Linux but i know it is batter to learn any thing from scratch.
Well I have worked on windows servers but now want to say it bye. Any more suggestion please must guide me.
thanks in advance.
Kamran.Ahmed
Lance Naik

Post by Kamran.Ahmed »

I am Karachi based so that i am unable to help you as i know there is no govt institute is there to providing support and i am sorry to say that our govt is not perform such tasks. haahaa

anyway you can start your linux world with bunch of online guides and i prefer first you must read one of my brother Kamran Azeem's book you can download it from http://wbitt.com/ it will very helpful to you
Kamran Ahmed Khan
kamran.cisco@gmail.com
Registered Linux User # 526139
www.allaboutlinux.org