kernel compilation

Discussion regarding the installation and configuration of Linux distributions.

kernel compilation

Post by newbie »

can we compile the default kernel? which is isntalled with the distribution. without using source :roll:

Re: kernel compilation

Post by Guest »

newbie wrote:can we compile the default kernel? which is isntalled with the distribution. without using source :roll:
Umm, lay off the crack buddy :wink:
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Post by Faraz.Fazil »

Salam friends,

I have re-compiled the linux kernel on my redhat box several times.I recompile my kernel everytime a new version comes out.

Ok, so back to ur question:

To install / recompile a kernel, First u need to get the kernel install either in .rpm format (For redhat), .deb for debian etc, or u can get the sources (.tar.gz packagaes).The sources are recommended as they can be used on all linux boxes.Ungzip and untar the package to a dir .(Latest sources can be found at kernel.org)

As for the issue of compiling a kernel without the sources. The sources/rpm packages are neccessary for recompilation of the kernel.These sources/rpm packages are located on the linux installation cd.And are also copied to ur hdd, if u selected it during install.
Last edited by Faraz.Fazil on Wed Nov 05, 2003 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sindhu
Cadet

Post by Sindhu »

newbie wrote:can we compile the default kernel? which is isntalled with the distribution. without using source :roll:
no, we cannot compile anything without source :)
linuxgeek
Site Admin

Post by linuxgeek »

Sindhu wrote:
oh yes we can :) ..... dont ask how! but WE CAN!
Junaid Saeed Uppal
uppal at linux dot net dot pk
Cell : +92.345.8586045

Post by Guest »

you can get help from the following link of linux kernel how-to.

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Kernel-HOWTO.html :wink:
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Post by Faraz.Fazil »

The sources/rpm packages are neccessary for the recompilation of the kernel

You either recompile you kernel using sources downloaded in the form of .tar.gz files or you update it using rpms.
linuxgeek wrote:
Sindhu wrote:
oh yes we can :) ..... dont ask how! but WE CAN!
Last edited by Faraz.Fazil on Wed Nov 05, 2003 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fawad
Site Admin

Post by fawad »

Come on people. Why are we still replying to this thread? Don't you realize that this thread was the linuxpakistan.net forum's first troll? :wink:
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Post by Faraz.Fazil »

Hehe.
So fawad u mean that this thread was just posted as a test thread with a dumb question.?

fawad wrote:Come on people. Why are we still replying to this thread? Don't you realize that this thread was the linuxpakistan.net forum's first troll? :wink:
fawad
Site Admin

Post by fawad »

Faraz.Fazil wrote:Hehe.
So fawad u mean that this thread was just posted as a test thread with a dumb question.?
fawad wrote:Come on people. Why are we still replying to this thread? Don't you realize that this thread was the linuxpakistan.net forum's first troll? :wink:
Not really. There was only one test thread and that was placed in the Events forum. This was posted by someone non-Fawad. In general, I really dislike moderating people for a couple of reasons. One of which is that the question may actually be a genuine one. In that case, the poster might get offended by the censoring of the post. However, I will moderate in case:

1. The post seems to be a genuine flamebait, or has racy remarks etc.
2. The thread in general seems to be headed for disaster (a delicate topic blown out of proportion).

In all other cases, have fun!. If there is anything I can do to increase the level of fun, do let me know.