linux compitable modem?

Discussion regarding the installation and configuration of Linux distributions.
rahil320
Naik

linux compitable modem?

Post by rahil320 »

AOA,

Recently i bought a modem from my friend its Model is UMC AT-1414PC-V
It is ISA Modem with jumper settings ( a bit like stone-age modem ;) )
The problem is that kppp doesnot detect it but when i use minicom it initialize it and gives me OK prompt. Since my phone line is dead (God bless PTCL) and I can`t figure out if it is working correctly.I tried to dial out using minicom but since no dial tone is available it gives me NO CARRIER error.
Do somebody tell me if this is linux compitable or not?
And please one thing more...Please tell me the modem which is 100% linux compitable and in the range of Rs. 1500 - 2000 and can be easily found in Karachi.
Thanks.
abdul_mateen
Battalion Havaldaar Major

Post by abdul_mateen »

Salam,
Hi
If this is a ISA Modem then it is compactible with Linux.bcz ISA Modems are nonPnP Modems so that's why they are compactible with Linux.

The 100% Compactible Modems are Externel Modems Not the PCI Modems.

Thankx
outstream
Naib Subedar

Post by outstream »

AoA

if u dont have a dial tone, u can still check if ur modem is configured properly in kppp. open the kppp window, go to setup and i think there is a modem tab there or device tab. press query modem and see the result.
Testing?What's that? If it compiles, its good, if it boots up it is perfect.
----------------------------------------------------
Imran
Registered Linux User # 334322
abdul_mateen

Post by abdul_mateen »

AoA,
There is also one prob while doing so.
There is another tick of doing so.
Open up kppp and then go to terminal or some thing like this near by the query modem there is terminal there is very easy trick of that open the terminal and then if it tells u OK REady then type ATZ

IF it gives ok then ur modem is initialized if there is no typing ok responce your modem is not supported.

Thank You.,
Shahryar
Naik

Post by Shahryar »

The Aztech 56k internel Pci modem is a linux compatible soft modem and costs less than Rs.900
rahil320
Naik

Linux modem

Post by rahil320 »

AOA,
As I told you that my phone line is dead and no dial is available for me to check whether the modem is ok or not, but i am pretty much sure that it is compitable since abdul mateen said that ISA modem are linux compitable and also the kernel boot messages indicate that the something is present at the port although it does not gives the name of the modem but when I change the jumpers or when I remove the modem from the system kernel and minicom both shows different output.
But iam still clueless about kppp that why it is not showing any results of quarring the modem although minicom works fine and if I changed the jumpers settings I also have to change the minicom settings to indicate the correct port .
Thanks for helping me all of you guys.
abdul_mateen

Post by abdul_mateen »

AoA,
Hello,Shariyar You did not specify the model Number.
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Post by Faraz.Fazil »

So is the lucent dual chipset modem, which is compatible with linux kernels 2.4 to 2.6 (You have to manually install the drivers).its price is also around 900...and is an internal pci modem.

My guide on how to make the lucent modem work:

http://www.linuxpakistan.net/forum2x/vi ... ght=lucent

Shahryar wrote:The Aztech 56k internel Pci modem is a linux compatible soft modem and costs less than Rs.900
Linux for Life!